Skip to main content


Q1. What level of English is required for non-native speakers?

The School requires a TOEFL score of 90 (internet-based test), 575 (paper-based test), 232 (computer-based test) or IELTS score of 6.5 or above for acceptance to our PhD programme.

Q2. Where can I find information on who to contact about my proposal or for supervisions?

Information about staff research interests and their contact details are available on the School website  

Q3. How can I apply for research study in the School?

The application process is online and can be accessed at

Q4. What do I do if I have problems with my application?

The application and admissions process is organised centrally by the Admissions Office.  If you have any problems applying, you should contact them by phone on +44 (0) 28 9097 5081, fax on +44 (0) 28 9097 5137 or by email at

Q5. Where can I find out about sources of funding?

Up-to-date information about which awards are available in for the upcoming academic year can be found at or by contacting the Postgraduate Office.  You can apply for these awards online in the same way as you apply for a place.

Q6. How much are tuition fees?

Tuition fees vary from year to year, information for the 2007/08 academic year can be found at Queen's University Belfast | Tuition Fees and Student Support Arrangements - 2007/08.

Q7. When will I be informed if I have been accepted for study?

The University aims to make a decision within ten days.  This is not always possible but the School will contact you if there are any problems with your application.  The Admissions Office will contact you to make an offer.

Q8. What does my offer mean?

An offer from the Admissions Office relates to your application for a place on the course.  It is not an offer or guarantee of funding.  This is a separate process and decision.

Q9. What happens next?

If you are offered a place on the programme, you should return your decision to the Admissions Office.  You will then receive information in the late summer on registration and enrolment.

Q10. How will I know if I will receive funding?

You will be notified of this by the Postgraduate Office.

Q11. Who can apply for DEL awards?

Home students (from UK) can apply for a full award from DEL, which covers your tuition fees and also a bursary towards living and studying.  This also applies to applicants who have been studying in the UK for the previous three years.  Applicants from the European Union can apply for a fees-only award to cover tuition fees.

Q12 If I am resident in the Irish Republic can I apply for a full DEL award?

A You would be classified as an EU student and therefore eligible for only payment of fees.  If you have been studying in the UK for the past 3 years would qualify for a full DEL award.

Q13. When does registration and enrolment take place?

Registration and enrolment generally takes place in the week before term starts.  You will be sent dates, times and all the information you will require closer to the time.

Q14. What happens if I haven't completed my Masters degree before registration in September?

The School will accept and register these students in September with the rest of that year's intake, on the condition that you have submitted your dissertation in September and will graduate in December of that year.

NSS 2016 Footer Content