Internships Summer 2017/18
Proposed Project Title:
Microsoft HoloLens Object Tracking with Hologram Overlaying
With new Mixed Reality (MR) technologies such as the Microsoft HoloLens becoming available there are a number of opportunities to development new applications. One such application would be the overlaying of real world objects with virtual counterpart holograms.
The project proposed is to develop with the HoloLens so that a user can see virtual objects located over real objects in a moveable scene. E.g. Where a user would look at a robot in the real world they would see human avatar hologram instead of it.
There are possibilities to expand the project through use of external visual capture equipment such as the Microsoft Kinect to track a human’s limbs, and have the user see an avatars limb in their place.
There could also be expansion work in using Rethink Robotic’s Baxter robot to have the end effector move in relation to a virtual object, seen and interacted with by the user, through the HoloLens.
The project requires someone with experience in C++/C# coding languages. The majority of the workload will be in the form of coding / hardware integration.
- Gain an understanding in object tracking algorithms and the necessary visual capture hardware.
- Gain an understanding of matrices transforms in order to communicate the location / orientation of objects in different reference frames.
- Develop holograms in Unity for the HoloLens.
- Successfully overlay real world objects with holograms, maintaining orientation and location in a room scale setup.
- If time permits, gain experience in Robot Operating System (ROS) in order to have interaction between a real world robot and virtual holograms.
The scheme is open to all EEECS Undergraduates (apart from students on the BIT degree pathway and students who are due to graduate this summer)
Each internship will last between 6-8 weeks and will pay a weekly stipend of £200.
Accommodation and travel costs are not provided under this scheme.
Start date: ONO
Duration: (8 Weeks)
Location: 10th Floor Ashby
Further information available at: http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/eeecs/Research/
|Supervisor Name:||Dr K Rafferty|
Queens University of Belfast
|Tel:||+44 (0)28 9097 4280|