Fundamentals of Programming
Fundamentals of computer programming encompassing programming constructors, algorithm design, and object-oriented programming.
This module is only available to students following pathways on which it appears as a compulsory element.
Modal learning outcomes:
- Knowledge and Understanding
- Understanding of the basic principles of object-oriented design, incorporating knowledge of their realisation within Java
- Abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism
- Objects, classes, interfaces, methods and messages
- Understanding of basic principles of programming and algorithm design, incorporating knowledge of their realisation within Java
- Primitive data types and simple abstract data structures, i.e. strings and arrays
- Basic sequence, selection and iteration statements
- Intellectual and Practical Skills
- Be able to design, develop and test small Java programs, which meet simple functional requirements expressed in English.
- Programs designed, developed and tested will contain a combination of some or all of the features as within the Knowledge and Understanding learning outcomes.
- Be able to competently read 'foreign' Java code
This module provides an opportunity to exercise aspects of the following QCA Key Skills (at proficiency Level 4):
Application of Number, ICT, Improving Own Learning and Performance, Problem Solving