The Map Library is located in room 01 007 (first floor) in the Elmwood Building, School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology.
Access is during the Semester teaching term normally on Wednesdays from 2.30pm to 4.30pm and outside these times by prior arrangement only. For enquiries or an appointment please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Map Library houses an extensive collection of maps belonging both to the University and the School, including the 1st Edition of the Six Inch Ordnance Survey of Ireland. Although many of the maps in the collection are Irish, the coverage is world wide. The Map Library is open to members of the public and at the present time there is no charge for access to the collection although donations are gratefully accepted.
However, the collection is primarily a reference one so maps may be consulted but not borrowed. The use of digital cameras is permitted, provided that this does not infringe on copyright restrictions. Some historical maps can only be photographed. Photocopying facilities are only available to staff & postgraduates of GAP. It may be possible to arrange for portions of a map to be copied or scanned but a charge will be made for this service.
Copying of material must be for research or educational use only and is not permitted for business purposes.
Some recent acquisitions to the map collection include several books: John Andrews ‘MAPS IN THOSE DAYS Cartographic Methods before 1850’; Denis Woos and John Fels ‘THE NATURES OF MAPS Cartographic Constructions of the Natural World'; Peter Barber and Tom Harper ‘MAGNIFICANT MAPS Power, Propaganda and Art.' New maps range from the local to the Americas including one on LAGAN VALLEY REGIONAL PARK.