David M. Brown
BSc (Hons) 1980 Geography New University of Ulster
MSc (by thesis) 1991 Queens University Belfast
School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology (GAP)
Queen’s University Belfast
Belfast, BT7 1NN
Northern Ireland, UK
+ 44 (0)28 9097 5143
GAP3055 Methods for Dating the Past
Chair of the Health and Safety Management Committee, School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology
COSHH officer for Archaeology and Palaeoecology
Fire officer for Archaeology and Palaeolecology Building
The extension of the Belfast tree-ring chronology before 5474BC using bog pine from Ireland.
Involved in the Project Towards a European Research and Data Network for Cultural Tree-ring studies.
Examining the relationship between the size and age of Modern Irish Oaks.
Defining the Environmental Issues indicated by the occurrence of oak samples in archaeological contexts between 2000BC and 1700AD.
1. McCormac, F. G., Bayliss, A., Brown, D. M., Reimer, P. J. and Thompson, M. M. 2008. Extended Radiocarbon Calibration in the Anglo-Saxon Period, AD395-485 and AD735-805. Radiocarbon. 50.1. 11-17.
2. Alan Hogg, Jonathan Palmer, Gretel Boswijk, Paula Reimer and David Brown. 2009. Investigating the Interhemispheric 14C Offset in the 1st Millennium AD and Assessment of laboratory Bias and Calibration Errors. Radiocarbon. 51.4. 1177-1186.
3. Baillie, Mike and Brown, David. 2009. A Chronological Glimpse into the Later First Millennium BC. In Gabriel Cooney, Katharina Becker, John Coles, Michael Ryan and Susanne Sievers (eds.) Relics of Old Decency: archaeological studies in later prehistory. A Festschrift for Barry Raftery. Wordwell. Dublin. Ireland. 17-24.
4. Moir, A. K., Leroy, S. A. G., Brown, D. and Collins, P. E. F. 2010. Dendrochronological evidence for a lower water-table on peatland around 3200-3000 BC from Subfossil pine in northern Scotland. The Holocene. 20(6). 931-942.
5. David Brown and Michael Baillie. 2010. Appendix VI: Notes on the Dating of the Tintern Timbers. In Tintern Abbey, Co. Wexford: Cistercians and Colcloughs. Excavations 1982 – 2007. By Ann Lynch. Archaeological Monograph Series: 5. Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government. Stationary Office. Dublin. 235-236.
6. D. M. Brown. 2010. List 229: Irish and English Dendrochronology. In N. W. Alcock (ed.) Tree-Ring Date List 2010. Vernacular Architecture. 41. 121-123.
7. Baillie, M. G. L. and Brown, D. M. 2011. Dendrochronology and Deer Park Farms. In C. Lynn and J. McDowell (eds.) Deer Park Farms: the Excavation of a Raised Rath in the Glenarm Valley, Co. Antrim. Environment Heritage Service. TSO. 93-101.
8. Chris O. Hunt, Ian Brooks, John Meneely, David Brown, Ahmed Buzaian and Graeme Barker. 2011. The Cyrenaican Prehistory Project 2011: Late-Holocene environments and human activity from a cave fill in Cyrenaica, Libya. Libyan Studies 42. 77-87.
9. Gerry McCormac, Paula Reimer, Alex Bayliss, Michelle Thompson, Nancy Beavan, David Brown, and Stephen Hoper. 2011. Anglo Saxon Chronology Project: Laboratory and Quality Assurance Procedures at the Queen’s University, Belfast Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory for Dated Samples. Research Department Report Series no. 89-2011. English Heritage. 69.
10. D. M. Brown, M. G. L. Baillie. 2012. Confirming the existence of gaps and depletions in the Irish oak tree-ring record. In proceeding of Word Dendro 2010. Dendrochronologia. Vol. 30. Issue 2. 85-91.
11. G. Plunkett, C. McDermott, G. T. Swindles, D. M. Brown. 2013. Environmental indifference? A critique of environmentally deterministic theories of peatland archaeological site construction in Ireland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 61. 17-31.
12. M. Baillie and D. Brown. 2013. A Chronological Framework for the Period 208 BC to AD 600. Emania. 21. 59 – 71.
13. Paula J Reimer, Edouard Bard, Alex Bayliss, J Warren Beck, Paul G Blackwell, Christopher Bronk Ramsey, David M Brown, Caitlin E Buck, R Lawrence Edwards, Michael Friedrich, Pieter M Grootes, Thomas P Guilderson, Haflidi Haflidason, Irka Hajdas, Christine Hatte, Timothy J Heaton, Alan G Hogg, Konrad A Hughen, K Felix Kaiser, Bernd Kromer, Sturt W Manning, Ron W Reimer, David A Richards, E Marian Scott, John R Southon, Christian S M Turney, Johannes van der Plicht . 2013. Selection and Treatment of Data for Radiocarbon Calibration: An Update to the International Calibration (IntCal) Criteria. Radiocarbon. 55.4. 1–23.