Patients as Partners
A Simulated Patient (SP) is sometimes referred to as a 'standardised patient' or a 'patient actor' but more often as 'simulated patient' at QUB. The SP plays the role of someone visiting the “doctor”, who is portrayed by a medical student.
Programme Lead: Dr Melissa McCullough - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clerical Support: Mrs Claire Gardnier - email: email@example.com
There is a general training for all SPs. Some SPs will be asked to work with students who are practicing a certain skill. Others are used during exams to evaluate how well students have learned skills. Regardless of which the SP is used for, the training will enable the SPs to be effective in their specific role or case. During training sessions, there will be opportunities to ask questions, do some role-playing, and critique each others’ performance.
Read the Patients as Partners FAQs section to find out more about the programme. If you are interested in becoming a SP, please complete the application form below and return to: Mrs Claire Gardnier, 'Patients as Partners', Queen's University Belfast, School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences, Room 01.010, Whitla Medical Building, 97 Lisburn Road, BT9 7BL. Alternatively email the form to Claire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All documents are available in either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format:
- Patients as Partners Application Form (Word) (PDF)
- Patients as Partners Frequently Asked Questions
- Non-staff Bank & Tax Details Form (NSP2) - this can be found on the Queen's University Salaries page.
- Engagement for Services Form - Non-staff (NSP3a & 3b) - this can be found on the Queen's University Salaries page
- Data Protection Act Statement (PDF)
- Patient Information Sheet (Word) (PDF)
- Video Consent Form (Word) (PDF)