Applying for a place
Queen’s has 26 Medical places for international students for 2015 entry. We look for students with good communication skills, problem solving ability, who can work effectively in a team environment and can cope well under pressure. Professional and ethical integrity as well as clinical competence are extremely important qualities in the doctor.
There are three important areas you need to consider when preparing your application: entrance requirements, your personal statement and the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (CAT).
1. Entry requirements
Where offers are made, these are conditional on obtaining one of the following:
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) is considered equivalent to A Levels. Grades required are A, A (in Chemistry and Biology) and A in another subject excluding Pengajian Am (General Studies) and Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language).
- A Levels – grades required will normally be A, A, A (including Chemistry and at least one from Biology/Human Biology, Mathematics and Physics).
- Singapore/Cambridge GCE A Levels, with grades A, A, A in H2 Level subjects (including Chemistry and at least one from Biology/Human Biology, Mathematics or Physics).
- International Baccalaureate with an overall score of 36 points and 6, 6, 6 (including Chemistry and Biology) in Higher Level subjects.
- Canadian High School Graduation Diploma with 85-90% overall, including marks of at least 85-90% in Chemistry and Biology.
- American High School Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a scale of 4.0 plus four Advanced Placement (AP) Tests with scores of 5,5 (Chemistry and Biology), 5,4. SAT subject or ACT scores may be acceptable in lieu of APs.
- Indian Higher Secondary School Leaving Certificate Grade XII with 85-90% overall including marks of at least 85-90% in Chemistry and Biology.
- Applications from students who have completed or are due to complete their Bachelor Degree in the year of applications are also welcomed. Both school and university qualifications are taken into account and a minimum of a 2.1 honours degree; 78% in a Canadian degree; CGPA of 3.3 on a scale of 4, or equivalent would be required. Applicants must also have the appropriate background in the relevant Science subjects.
Alternative equivalent academic qualifications may be considered.
In addition, to fulfil the subject requirements for the degree programme, GCSE Mathematics and Physics (or equivalent) are required, if not offered beyond this level and a Grade B in Biology/Human Biology to at least AS (H1) level is also necessary.
All applicants must also have or be undertaking a recognised English Language qualification such as IELTS. Normally an overall score of 7.5 in IELTS, with a minimum band score of 7.0 in the Speaking and Listening modules is required. Queen's considers a TOEFL internet based score of 105 or the Cambridge English Language syllabus (UCLES) 1119 with a minimum grade of A2 as an equivalent English Language qualification.
2. Personal statement
The table below gives you useful pointers for both the structure and content of your personal statement.
Reflective and insightful
• What have you done
|Positions of responsibility||
• What you have learnt
• Why this is relevant to your chosen subject/career
|Voluntary work||Structured, clear, concise, precise|
|Skills (first aid/red cross)||Avoid ‘waffle’, slang and inappropriate language|
|Academic reference||Check grammar and language|
3. UK Clinical Aptitude Test
The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) forms part of the selection criteria and arrangements should be made to take this prior to application (www.ukcat.ac.uk). Performance in this, together with previous academic results are used when shortlisting for interview.
These are normally carried out in Belfast, Singapore and Malaysia in January/February. Preference is given to applicants who attend for interview.
Shortlisting for interviews in South East Asia
Applicants from South East Asia who are shortlisted are interviewed in Malaysia or Singapore in January/February. However, if an applicant would prefer to come to Queen’s to visit the school and be interviewed in Belfast this can be done by arrangement.
A range of factors is taken into account including:
- Previous academic qualifications eg O Levels, SPM or GCSE.
- UKCAT result (no minimum score required) is taken into account in combination with other factors
- Proficiency in English Language
- Satisfactory Personal Statement and Academic Reference
Finally, all offers are subject to satisfactory health and criminal records checks. Further details may be obtained from the Admissions and Access Service.