Queen's today


The Lanyon Building in winter

History

Queen’s University was established in 1845 and was originally one of three Queen’s Colleges in Ireland. It took on its current title, The Queen’s University of Belfast in 1908.

The famous Lanyon building, which dates from 1847, has special architectural merit and is the “Civic” or “redbrick” university in heart of Belfast.

In 2006, Queen’s University was invited to join the prestigious Russell Group of UK universities. This is an association of 20 major research-intensive universities which include Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh and University College London.

Queen’s was named Entrepreneurial University of the Year by the Times Higher Educational Supplement (THES) in 2009.

Today

There are 16,000 full-time students (13,400 undergraduate, 1,600 masters and 1,000 research). This number includes 1,450 international students from over 80 countries. There are 3,500 staff members.

Find out more at the Prospective Students pages.