How can HE, FE and Organisations celebrate EDL?
Here are our top 10 ideas to help you celebrate European Day of Languages
- Organise a “Famous Faces” quiz of people in the media, sports, music or cinema who speak another language. Match match the name to a photo and say what language they speak.
- Have a one-day sponsored ‘lingo-thon’ for charity. Speak to each other in different languages as much as possible. Greet one another in another language. Put up signs in languages around the workplace.
- Invite native speakers of languages other than English to come and share new words.
- Display EDL materials in foyers, common rooms, classrooms and corridors.
- Use foreign names for a day!
- Make a group visit to a restaurant serving food from a European country. Try to learn any words in the different language from the menu.
- Learn a traditional sport, dance or song from another country.
- Organise a foreign film night for charity or go to watch a foreign film in your local cinema.
- Have language taster sessions in a variety of languages. Don’t forget sign language.
- Make a short video of EDL in your workplace and share it with us on Twitter @NICILT #EDL2016.