Office Room Number: 03.506
QUB Phone extension: 5655
First Supervisor: Professor Evanthia Lyons
Second Supervisor: Dr Mirona Gheorghiu
Third Supervisor: Dr Ulrike Niens
PhD Title: The role of multiple identities and political trust in the construction of adolescents' national identity in an intergroup conflict context: the case of Northern Ireland. (granted by Research Forum for the Child)
Summary of Project: My recent research focuses on understanding the relationship between identity processes, political trust, national identity, civic engagement, and citizenship amongst adolescents in conflicted societies. Drawing on the framework of identity theories (SIT/SCT, ODT), I am investigating this relationship in the context of Northern Ireland, a country with a long history of inter-group conflict, using quantitative techniques. I am particularly interested in how young people in this specific context negotiate their multiple identities, such as their community identity, national identity (ies), how they construct their citizenship; and the role that trust in politicians and the government plays in these processes.
Research Interest Group: Indentities, Groups & Social Change
Multiple Social Identities, Civic Engagement, Citizenship, Political Trust and Political Participation, Structural Equation Modelling, Multivariate Statistic, Inter Group Conflict, Equality and Diversity, Peace Psychology, Safety
- Çoymak, A.; Lyons, E.; Gheorghiu, M.; Niens, U. (2012). Building Inter-Group Trust in Post-Conflict Situations: The Role of Different Constructions of Identities and Citizenship in Northern Ireland. Guest speaker at the Conference on Conflicts and Identities in Contemporary Kurdistan in Comparative Context, Amman, Jordan.
- Çoymak, A.; Lyons, E.; Gheorghiu, M.; Niens, U. (2011). 'I don't know who I am but I know who I am not': Self projection on National Identity in post conflict Northern Ireland. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Çoymak,A., Sakalli-Ugurlu,N.(2010). Does it Matter to be Privileged or Disadvantaged for Proud of the Country? The relationships among dimensions of national identity in Turkey. Paper presented at the BPS Social Psychology Section Annual Conference, Winchester, UK
- Çoymak,A., Sakalli-Ugurlu,N.(2010). The mediating roles of perceived collective discrimination and political trust on the relationship between ethnic and national identities among disadvantaged ethnic groups in Turkey. Paper presented at the Inaugural Conference of the Centre for Research in Political Psychology (CResPP) at Queen?s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
- Çoymak,A., Özkan,T., & Lajunen,T.(2009). Promoting Performance of Helmet and Safety Equipment Usage among Motorcyclists. Paper presented at 11th European Congress of Psychology, Oslo, Norvey.
- Çoymak, A., & Dogruyol, B. (2007). Social Representations of “Laicism” and “Muslim” as Concepts of Multiple Identities among University Youth in Turkey. Paper presented at International Meeting of Young Psychologist, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria.
- Arslan, S., Ozen, A, Çoymak, A., & Sakalli-Ugurlu, N. (2007). Some Predictors of Forgiveness in the Case of Infidelity. (Presenter) Paper presented at 10th European Congress of Psychology, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Çoymak, A., Arslan, S., A., Ozen, & Sakalli-Ugurlu, N. (2007). Gender as a Moderator of the Relationship between Sexism and the Forgiveness of Infidelity. Poster presentation at the 10th European Congress of Psychology, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Çoymak, A. (2004). Rebellion against Sexual Sin in the ideas of Marque de Sade. Paper presented at the International Meeting of Understanding of Sexual Identities and Preferences in Turkey, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A.; Lyons, E.; Gheorghiu, M.; Niens, U. (2012).Identity dynamics among adolescents in post-conflict Northern Ireland. Guest speaker at the Departmental Seminar, School of Psychology, Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Çoymak, A.; Lyons, E.; Gheorghiu, M.; Niens, U. (2010). Projections of Individual and Social Selves: Northern Ireland as an Example of Transformations of Social Self in Divided Society. [Bireysel Benlik ve Sosyal Benligin Iz Dusumleri: Politik Siddet ve Bolunmus Toplumlarda Sosyal Benlik Donusumleri, Kuzey Irlanda Ornegi.] Paper presented at IV. National Congress of Postgraduate Psychology Students, METU, Ankara, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A. (2009). The other who I am: Multiple Social Identities among Disadvantaged (Minority) Groups. Guest speaker at Traditional Psychology Days in Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A., & Dogruyol, B. (2007). Women Evils to Forbidden Fruit in Bloodshot Home: The Social Representations of Honor Killing and Chastity among Turkish Sample in Different Cities. Paper presented at National Congress of the Graduate Students in Social Sciences. Atatürk Institute in Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A. (2007). 21st Century Melodies from the Piper of Positivist Village: New Approach to Psychological Paradigm. Panelist at the 1st National Congress of the Graduate Students of Psychology, Izmir, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A. (2007). Old People as a High Seas River at the Journey to the life. Guest speaker at the Week of Elder People in Ankara Metropolitan Municipality, Ankara, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A. (2007). Mirror, Mirror! Tell Me Whether There is a More Rational Approach than Positivism: Psychological Paradigm in Twenty First Century. Panelist at the 11st National Congress of the Students of Psychology Izmir, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A. (2004). Alienation in Information Society. Paper presented at the 10th National Congress of the Students of Sociology, Izmir, Turkey
- Çoymak, A. (2003). The Effects of FRP, IRC, and Role Playing Games on Socialization in Information Society. Paper presented at the 9th National Congress of the Students of Sociology, Isparta, Turkey.
- Çoymak, A., Ulug, M. & Isik, R. (working paper). 'Other East' as a Social Representation: Honor and Chastity Killing in Social Psychological Paradigm
- Özkan,O; Lajunen,T; Dogruyol, B; Yildirim, Z;Çoymak, A.(in press) Motorcycle accidents, rider behaviour, and psychological models. Accident Analysis and Prevention
- Çoymak, A., & Dogruyol, B. (2007). Social Representations of “Laicism” and “Muslim” as Concepts of Multiple Identities among University Youth in Turkey. Papered Presentation in International Meeting of Young Psychologist, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria.
- Çoymak, A. (2004). Althuser'de Marksizmin Elestirisi (The Critique of Marxism with Althuser). Sosyolojik Düsünüyorum (Sociological Thinking), 1, 1-15
Ahmet Çoymak is also;
- Research assistant at Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey.
- Research member at Safety Research Unit at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- Blogger the Anchor blog on current affairs, politics and psychology
Personal webpage is http://qub.academia.edu/AhmetCoymak