Head of Purchasing,
028 9097 3026,
Queen’s is committed to Environmental Purchasing. This means that all purchasing activities undertaken by the University are carried out in an environmentally responsible manner and that ultimately, and where practical, only suppliers who have developed sound environmental credentials are used.
What we are doing
- As part of the University’s Green Procurement Policy, the environmental credentials of potential suppliers are assessed through Environmental Evaluation Questionnaires.
- The environmental performance of key suppliers is monitored, with particular emphasis on minimising the environmental effect of production processes, packaging and deliveries.
- Staff are encouraged to consider switching to green alternatives. The pack, Guidelines for Nominated Buyers (internal access only), gives staff advice on the green alternatives available to them.
- A number of ‘greener’ contracts are in place.
- The University operates a One Stop Shop supply arrangement for stationery, computer consumables and paper which allows for only green products to be purchased for a large proportion of the commodity areas within the contract.
- Environmental considerations built into the University’s print management arrangement include: electronic proofing, on-line ordering, the use of sustainable products and processes, and advice on sustainable printing methods.
- The University’s obsolete electrical equipment is disposed of by a recycling contractor.
Further information is available at:
Environmental Policies (internal access only)