- Buy recycled paper and products.
- Consult the University Green Buyers Guide for advice and guidance on how to green your Purchasing choices.
- Arrange the removal of reusable packaging by suppliers.
- Consider the whole life cost of an item to determine whether it's more cost-effective to invest in a more expensive product initially, in order to reduce costs in the long-run
- Feedback to the Purchasing Office on green contracts so that Purchasing can work with suppliers to ensure that user needs are met, whilst maximising our ability to 'buy green'
- Purchase energy-efficient equipment – for example, appliances used in labs (fridges, freezers, etc) with an energy rating of A or higher, and office equipment showing the 'Energy Star' logo
- Make energy efficiency a key component of the procurement decision when purchasing scientific/research equipment
- Buy Local – Reduce food air miles and support your local economy by buying locally produced food and goods
- Reduce packaging – say no to excess packaging
- Lower your clothing carbon footprint - buy recycled clothes
For ten top tips on green procurement, click here.
For more information on purchasing, visit http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/home/what-you-can-do/Out-shopping.html