Queen's Easy Pay
A new flexible catering system has been launched for 2011-12 which makes it easier for you to pay for meals in campus restaurants and coffee shops; it is called Queen's Easy Pay.
By loading money onto your Student Card you can use it to pay for snacks and meals on campus. You will receive your student card when you enrol after you arrive at Queen's. Once you have added funds to your catering purse which is held electronically on your card, you can start to use it to buy meals.
You have the felxibility and choice to buy as much or as little to eat whenever you want, for example confectionary, soft drinks or a full meal. A typical breakfast or lunch may cost £4 to £5, or dinner may cost £6 to £7.
Payment is made using your student card at the restaurant pay point; the money comes from the catering purse on your student card (more information about paying with your student card is available here)
The benefits are:
- You do not need to carry cash - your meals have been pre-paid by you.
- The money in the catering purse can only be spent on food and soft drinks.
- Your parent/guardian can add money to your account from home via the internet.
- It is probably similar to the system you had at school
- It is quick and easy, a faster method of paying
- Remember, you always have access to a range of meals whilst at Queen's
Adding Funds to your student card
New students coming to Queen's and your parent/guardian can add funds to your catering purse before you leave home and while you are at Queen's; follow these instructions:
1. For students who know their Queen's student identity number:-
- You should log-in to Queen's Online, http://login.qol.qub.ac.uk using the student number and password which has recently been sent to you. Select 'My Smart Card' and follow the prompts to add money to your catering purse.
- Further information is available on the Queen's University's website by clicking here
2. For parents/guardians:-
- Money can be added to your student's catering purse from home using a valid debit or credit card.
- If you do not know your student's Queen's Online username and password you should log-in to the link on the Queen's web site by clicking here.
- You will need to create a user account; to do this you will be asked for the student's name, date of birth and Queen's student number.
- Select the amount of money you wish to add to the catering purse.
- You will be directed to World Pay to make a secure card payment
- You must send or give the World Pay transaction ID number or the Order ID number which you will receive from World Pay to your student in order that they can complete the process to add the amount to their catering purse.
- You should keep the World Pay transaction confirmation email as proof of purchase.
We recommend you add £250 which would be sufficient to last for approximately 2 months if you buy one meal per day.
Returning students or student still living at Queen's
You can add money to your catering purse using a valid credit or debit card by visiting Queen's online and selecting 'My Smart Card'.
Your parent or guardian can add funds to your catering purse from home if you send them the link above to the Queen's website or if you decide to pass them your Queen's Online user name and password. Remind them to send you the World Pay transaction ID number or the Order ID number which you will need to complete the process of adding funds.
If your parent/guardian has added funds to your catering purse from home, then you must complete the process as follows:
You must bring the World Pay transaction ID number and your student card to Elms Village reception between 8.00am-6.00pm Monday-Friday where the Accommodation staff will complete the process of adding funds.
Where can you use your student smart card to eat on campus?
The following outlets can take the Queen's Easy Pay method:-
- Relish, the main restaurant at the Students' Union.
- Starbucks at the Students' Union
- Cafe Krem at the PFC
- Cafe Krem at INTO Queen's
- The Treehouse Restaurant at the Elms Village
- The Daily Grind at the Ashby Building
(Your card cannot be used in Clements' outlets or in Hope at the McClay Library)
For more information about all the places to eat at Queen's please click here.
There are other Money Purses on your Student Card:
- Print and Photocopy purse - this is a dedicated purse which gives you preferential rates for printing and photcopying.
- Student Experience Busary Purse - this purse is updated automatically if Queen's University receives confirmaton from the Student Loans Company that you are entitled to a bursary. It can be used for payments in Queen's Sport, Queen's Film Theatre, Belfast Festival at Queen's, Language Centre, Careers in the Student Guidance Centre and the Information Services shop in the McClay Library. NOTE that you will soon be able to transfer money from your Bursary Purse into the Print and Photocopy Purse.
You can also use your student card to pay for purchases at:-
- The Students' Union Shop
- Queen's Welcome Centre
Internal Point of Sale (POS)
Feedback from Schools and Directorates has highlighted the need for a process which will allow (authorised) staff to purchase hospitality from our in-house catering units and charge it to their School or Directorate without having to create an online order, complete an IRCF form, raise a purchase order or use their own funds and later claim expenses.
In view of the current budgertary cuts it is worth noting that the University benefits from all money spent in our catering units, via commission on total sales, i.e. the money spent is reinvested in the University. It is important therefore that we try to reduce the use of all external catering outlets and only use them when internal units are not suitable.
Internal POS books are available at the following in-house providers:
- Café Krem - PFC, ECIT, INTO
- Clements Coffee - Queen's Students' Union, MBC and HOPE Café
- Deanes at Queen's
- Kylemore - Queen's Students' Union (Starbucks/Relish), The Daily Grind at Ashby and the Treehouse Restaurant
Step by Step Process
The following shows how this straightforward process works and the control measures in place. If there are any questions at all please feel free to contact Marie McCullough in Accommodation and Hospitality on extension 4527.
- The customer (staff member authorised by their School or Directorate to use the facility) visits the catering unit and selects the items (either to be consumed in the unit or to be taken out) potentially for a working lunch, an informal or short notice meeting or to entertain a visitor to the University.
- The customer must advise the cashier that they wish to pay by internal POS and present their staff card. Presenting your staff card is a mandatory requirement - no staff card, no catering!
- The cashier will complete the POS form which includes the date, staff name, staff number and amount. The cashier will verify the customers identity by checking their staff card.
- The customer will then complete the customer section of the form, including their School or Directorate name and project code to be charged, before signing the form to confirm the amount charged is correct.
- A receipt will be given to the staff member as normal. We would advise staff to retain this receipt to reconcile against QFIS charges. The customer is required to check that the amount charged is correct before they sign the the form authorising the transaction.
- A copy of the order will be sent at the end of each month to Accommodation and Hospitality where they will debit your project code on QFIS.
- Staff identity - the cashier will check and record staff card details to verify the identity of the customer.
- If a School/Directorate has a query regarding any charge on QFIS, the Accommodation and Hospitality Finance team will provide details of the transaction as recorded in the POS book.
- Authorisation - Heads of Schools and Directorates should agree who they will authorise to use this facility and inform staff accordingly.