Academic Research Interests
Ecological economics, environmental and resource economics, health economics, energy economics, micro-econometrics, non-market valuation, choice experiments, experimental economics, preference analysis: regret minimization vs. utility maximization.
Publications in peer-review journals
Accepted for publication - In press
Boeri, M., L. Masiero (2013). Regret minimization and utility maximization in a freight transport context: an application from two stated choice experiments. Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, DOI:10.1080/23249935.2013.809818
A. Alberini, A. Bigano and M. Boeri (2013). Looking for Free-riding: Energy Efficiency Incentives and Italian Homeowners, Energy Efficiency, DOI: 10.1007/s12053-013-9241-7
Published on paper
Boeri M., R. Scarpa and CG Chorus. (2014). Stated choices and benefit estimates in the context of traffic calming schemes: Utility maximization, regret minimization, or both? Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Volume 61, March, Pages 121–135
Jose J.M., A. Longo, M. Boeri, G. Hutchinson and F. Kee (2013). Trading off dietary choices, physical exercise and cardiovascular disease risks, Social Science & Medicine, Volume 93, September, Pages 130-138
Boeri, M., A. Longo, J.M. Grisolía, W.G. Hutchinson and F. Kee (2013). The role of regret minimisation in lifestyle choices affecting the risk of coronary heart disease, Journal of Health Economics, Volume 32, Issue 1, January 2013, Pages 253-260
Boeri, M., A. Longo, E. Doherty, S. Hynes (2012). Site choices in recreational demand: a matter of utility maximization or regret minimization? Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy, Volume: 1, Issue: 1, Pages: 32-47
M. Thiene, M. Boeri and C.G. Chorus (2012). Random Regret Minimization: Exploration of a New Choice Model for Environmental and Resource Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics, Volume: 51, Issue: 3, Pages: 413-429
J. Meyerho, M. Boeri and V. Hartje (2013). The value of achieving water quality improvements in the rivers of the metropolitan region of Berlin and Brandenburg, Working Paper on Management in Environmental Planning 32, Berlin
Haase D., A. Piorr, N. Schwarz, S. Rickebusch, F. Kroll, H. van Delden, A. Zuin, T. Taylor, M. Boeri, I. Zasada, C. Lavalle, R. Vanhout, A. Sarretta, F. Müller, M. Rounsevell and S. Bell (2013). "Tools for Modelling and Assessing Peri-Urban Land Use Futures" in Peri-urban futures: Scenarios and models for land use change in Europe, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 69-88
COLLABORATION ACKNOWLEDGED IN: Chorus CG (2012) Random Regret-based discrete choice modeling: A tutorial. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany
Selected Peer-reviewed research papers at conferences (POST 2010)
- EAERE2014 world congress of environmental economists. Istanbul 2014
- EAAE2014 European association of agricultural economists. Ljubljana 2014
- ASSET2014 Food integrity and traceability conference, 1 presentation and 1 poster accepted
- Envecon 2014: Applied Environmental Economics Conference, The Royal Society, London
- J. Meyerho, M. Boeri and V. Hartje The value of achieving water quality improvements in the rivers of the metropolitan region of Berlin and Brandenburg. Envecon 2013: Applied Environmental Economics Conference, 15th March 2013, The Royal Society, London.
- P. Mariel, J. Meyerho, D. Hoyos and M. Boeri. Dealing with controversial and non-attended attributes in discrete choice experiments. 5th AERNA Conference, 30th May – 1st June 2012, Algarve and 19th EAERE Conference, 27th – 30th June 2012, Prague.
- A. Alberini, A. Bigano and M. Boeri. Free-riding opportunities: Energy Efficiency Incentives and Italian Homeowners, 5th International Workshop on “Empirical Methods in Energy Economics” (EMEE), Berlin, 7th - 8th June 2012 (POSTER) and 12th IAEE European Conference -Venice, 9-12 September 2012.
- M. Boeri, L. Masiero. Regret minimization and utility maximization in a freight transport context: an application from two stated choice experiments. Swiss Transport Research Conference, Monte Verità, 2nd-4th May 2012.
- M. Thiene, M. Boeri and C.G. Chorus. Random Regret Minimization: Exploration of a new choice model for environmental and resource economics. International Choice modelling conference, Leeds, 4th–6th July, 2011.
- M. Boeri, E. Doherty, D. Campbell and A. Longo. Heterogeneity in Variance and Taste: a Scaled Latent class approach. International Choice modelling conference, Leeds, July 4 – July 6, 2011.
- D. Campbell, M. Boeri, E. Doherty, G. Hutchinson. Learning and fatigue in discrete choice experiments: addressing preference and variance instability. EAAE 2011 Congress Change and Uncertainty Challenges for Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, Zurich, Aug. 30 – Sept. 2, 2011.
- M. Boeri, T. Taylor, and A. Longo. Monetary valuation of peri-urban land use change: A tale of three cities. Managing the Urbn Rural interface, Copenhagen, 19-22 October 2010.
- D. Campbell, M. Boeri, A Longo. Accommodating heterogeneity for reducing traffic pollution: a ‘mixed’ latent class approach. European Transport Conference, Glasgow, 11-13 October 2010; and Irish Environmental Economics Conference, Athenry, 2nd Sept. 2010.
Invited papers at workshops and seminars:
- M. Boeri, M. Thiene. Utility and Regret combined to model the “dark-side” of outdoor recreation: data on visits and “rescue events” happened across 18 Alpine sites. Padua, 3rd European Workshop on Discrete Choice Experiments, University of Padua (Italy) on February, 3rd – 4th, 2014.
- M. Boeri. The impacts on welfare analysis of assuming variance and taste homogeneity when scale is actually heterogeneous: a Monte Carlo experiment, II Workshop on Discrete Choice Modelling, Berlin (Germany), February 4-5, 2013.
- M. Boeri. Regret minimization and utility maximization: the approach and four case studies, Milan FEEM Seminars, on February, 13th, 2012.
- M. Boeri, M. Thiene. Outdoor recreations: Is the choice among Alpine sites a matter of Utility maximization, Regret minimization or both? Bilbao European Workshop on Discrete Choice Experiments, University of the Basque Country (Spain) on February, 23th - 24th, 2012.
- M. Boeri, E. Doherty, D. Campbell and A. Longo. Investigating scale heterogeneity in latent class analysis: an application to recreational site choice. Workshop on Discrete Choice Models 2011, EPFL Lausanne August 25th - 26th.