Moving to Belfast

Welcome to


Belfast is a city with a remarkable heritage, from its emergence as a world centre of industry and shipbuilding, through a generation of political and social turmoil, to the vibrant and growing urban centre that you see today. Throughout our history the character, humour and local pride of our residents has always been a defining part of our city. Modern Belfast offers a fantastic quality of life, and with a relatively young population the city continues to evolve and develop.

Historically, Belfast has been a centre for the manufacture of Irish linen, tobacco production, rope-making and shipbuilding: the city's main shipbuilders, Harland and Wolff, which built the well-known RMS Titanic, propelled Belfast on to the global stage in the early 20th century as the biggest and most productive shipyard in the world.

Today, Belfast remains a centre for industry, as well as the arts, higher education, business, and law, and is the economic engine of Northern Ireland. Belfast city centre has undergone considerable expansion and regeneration in recent years, notably along the River Lagan and around Victoria Square.

Find out what to see and do on the Visit Belfast website.

Return to Top


Driving rules and regulations vary from country to country therefore it important to take some time to read the Northern Ireland regulations on driving licences, car tax and registration and insurance responsibilities.

Driving Licence - A licence is required to drive in Northern Ireland. Depending on the country you come from there are different driving licence requirements, full details are available from the NI Direct website.

Registration and Car Tax - If you bring your vehicle with you from your home country, then you may do so for up to six months in any 12-month period provided that it is fully registered and tax paid in the country of registration. If you wish to keep your vehicle in the UK for over six months, you will need to register your vehicle in the UK by contacting the DVLNI

Insurance - You must have at least Third Party Insurance if you wish to drive in the UK. 

MOT - Vehicles must meet specific technical and safety requirements, and you will have to pay for UK registration. If the vehicle is more than four years old, you will need an M.O.T. certificate showing that the vehicle is roadworthy.