Requesting Access to NICOLA Data or Biological Samples
We aim to encourage and facilitate data access with all ‘bona fide’ researchers and research organisationsas defined by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (https://www.ukri.org/) and welcome proposals from researchers, either for collaborative projects or for other forms of data access in order to help advance research knowledge.
Researchers are required to take the following steps in order to access NICOLA data and/or biological samples.
1. Please read the NICOLA Data Access Policy which describes in detail the general processes and procedures involved in accessing the NICOLA data resource
2. You may find it useful to browse the list of research proposals (listed below) that have been approved by the Data Access Committee since 2017
3. Please download a copy of the Research Proposal Form. For multiple projects individual forms must be submitted; one per project.
4. Submit your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. All research proposals will be considered by the NICOLA Data Access Committee who meet every other month. Please click here for the dates of the Data Access Committee meetings and deadlines for submitting research proposals. You should expect to receive a response regarding the outcome of your proposal to advise you whether or not your proposal has been approved.
5. Any amendments or revisions to a proposal (after it has been approved) should be addressed using the NICOLA research proposal amendment form. This form should be submitted to email@example.com . A typical amendment could include any of the following:
Change to the researchers accessing the data, additional researchers being added to the proposal
Change in institution/affiliation
Any additional data required
Change in funding source
Any queries regarding eligibility for requesting access to data or biological samples should be directed to the NICOLA Research Support Team (RST) @ firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your research proposal form.
Please note that at present, the NICOLA data can only be analysed in the ‘safe setting’ located within the Centre for Public Health, Queen’s University Belfast.
Research Proposals Approved
The following link provides a list of research proposals approved by the NICOLA Data Access Committee since 2017. This may be a useful resource for planning your own research topic or for collaborating with other researchers working in a similar area of research.
NICOLA Related Publications and Outputs
Publishing Your NICOLA Research
A copy of all research outputs (e.g. full papers, reports, policy documents, PhD theses (NICOLA related chapters), media contributions) along with a completed NICOLA publications checklist must be sent to the NICOLA Research Support Team (NICOLAemail@example.com) for approval, at least 28 days prior to journal submission. This includes any research output being placed in the public domain (for example working papers, non-peer reviewed papers, abstracts that will be published in conference proceedings or journals). All papers will be read to check participant confidentiality is protected and to ensure that the paper will not bring the study into disrepute.