A software engineer researches, designs and develops software systems to meet with client's requirements and then test, debug and maintain the systems once they are operational. Software engineering is one of the most popular professions in IT in terms of the numbers employed.
Typical work activities include:
- Research, design and write new software programs.
- Work with computer coding languages.
- Write operational documentation with technical authors.
- Maintain systems by monitoring and correcting software defects.
- Work closely with project managers, graphic artists, systems analysts and sales and marketing professionals.