Food technologists are involved in conducting experiments and producing sample products, as well as designing the processes and machinery for making products with a consistent flavour, colour and texture in large quantities.
Typical work activities include:
- Modifying existing products and processes and developing new ones.
- Researching current consumer markets and latest technologies to develop new product concepts.
- Selecting raw materials and other ingredients from suppliers.
- Checking and improving quality control procedures in your own and suppliers' factories, from the raw material stage through to the finished product.
- Addressing issues of safety and quality.