Stay at Queen's

TV Licensing

Do I need a TV Licence at University?

You need a TV Licence if you are watching or recording television programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV. This is the case no matter what device you’re watching on – whether it’s on a TV, a laptop, a mobile phone or a tablet, and no matter how you’re receiving the programmes - via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet.

It’s the law and anyone in Queen's University Student Accommodation without a valid TV Licence who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

A colour TV Licence currently costs £145.50. There are lots of different ways to pay - all in one go or spreading the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly.  Just chose whatever's best for you - click TV Licensing for further information.


Don’t forget the student refund!

If you’re leaving your halls and moving back home for the summer, there’s a good chance you won’t need your TV Licence if there’s one at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you’ll be entitled to a refund for the unused quarters of your licence.

If you wish to arrange a refund or would like further information, simply click on the following link: TV Licensing for students or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.


When don’t I need a licence?

 If you only ever watch catch-up TV services such as iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player, Blu-Rays, DVDs or downloaded videos on your laptop, you do not need a TV Licence.

 If you do not need a TV Licence, you can find out more information and let us know by visiting