Private Sector Accommodation

Students’ Union - help with private sector accommodation

Advice is available in the Students’ Union regarding all aspects of renting accommodation in the private sector.

Help and support for checking a private sector contract before signing is available at the Students’ Union Advice Centre where an appointment can be made with an adviser. International and local students wishing to rent in the private sector can get advice by checking out the Students' Union website.  Speak to the Education and Welfare adviser or the Vice-President Welfare for information about:

              • How to find accommodation which suits your needs
              • The right questions to ask NOW to avoid problems LATER
              • Your rights AND responsibilities as a tenant.

Students occupying flats and houses in the private sector must enter into a normal landlord-tenant contractual agreement. You can also have your contract checked with the Students’ Union Advice Centre:

Agnes Crawford - Education and Welfare Adviser

T 028 9097 1135

Tiernan McAteer - Vice President Welfare

T 028 9097 1002

Queen’s recognises its responsibility to be a good neighbour, and that dealing with antisocial behaviour by students is a challenge. Queen’s approach is firm but measured, based on three key principles: Education, Partnership, Discipline.

Queen’s University, in partnership with the University of Ulster, Belfast Metropolitan College, St Mary’s College, Stranmillis College Groups, Belfast City Council and the Police Service of Northern Ireland, strives to ensure that the environment of areas surrounding the University is not adversely affected by student residents.


       Private Sector Accommodation 

       You can search all available private sector student accommodation at



Tenancy Deposit Scheme 

This scheme was introduced to make sure that any tenancy deposit paid by a tenant to their landlord will be protected in an approved scheme - please visit the NI Direct website for further information