News / Events
Welcome to Irish History Live!
Irish History Live is an exciting online venture aimed primarily at students in Great Britain, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland studying for Highers, A-Levels, and Leaving Certificates. It will also prove a useful resource for teachers or those interested in Irish history generally.
It is run by staff and students in the School of History and Anthropology at Queen's University Belfast.
Here you can find articles, lectures, audio and visual material designed by our teaching staff. You can source texts for your essays from the bibliographies, check out useful links or have a look at some sample sources from the archives and Special Collections at QUB. You can browse the entries written by our undergraduate and postgraduate students or read some book reviews. Feel free to contribute to the discussion forum or take a revision quiz to test your knowledge!
You can also find information about life as a History student at Queen's University Belfast. If you have further queries or wish to arrange a visit, please contact us.
15 University Square
Queen's University Belfast
Tel: +44 (0) 28 9097 5101
Email: history @ qub.ac.uk
And don't forget to check out the History at Queen's University Belfast Facebook page!
Click a Tag
Hot Topics ...
Have a question about Irish History or studying at Queen's? Have an opinion? Check out the Discussion Forum!!
Latest news ...
- What was life like in Belfast 100 years ago? Take a look at Dr Olwen Purdue's BBC slideshow and podcast on the Belfast workhouse
- Interested in the Easter Rising? Listen to the esteemed Dr Fearghal McGarry discuss the event
- What do you know about the Troubles and the Good Friday Agreement? Check out a lecture by Dr Stuart Aveyard on the subject
- Looking for an interesting book to read? Check out the review of Quiet revolutionaries: Irish women in education, medicine and sport, 1861-1964 or the review of Cliona Rattigan's 'What else could I do?'
- Our Head of School talks about the Famine. Have a listen
- New entry on WWII in Northern Ireland
- Read about 19th-century emigration
- What do you know about Civil Authority (Special Powers) Act? Read here!
- Watch our Professor Liam Kennedy on Canadian tv
- Read about Queen Victoria and her visit to Ireland in August 1849
- Learn about the Williamite Wars
- Read about women at Queen's College Belfast in the early 20th century