News / Events
About Irish History Live
What is it?
Irish History Live is an exciting website aimed principally at students of Irish History in Great Britain, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland studying for Highers, A-Levels, and Leaving Certificates, but also with links and resources for anyone interested in Irish History.
Who runs it?
It is run by staff and students of the School of History and Anthropology at Queen’s University Belfast.
What does it provide?
- It provides you as a student of Irish history with resources to help you in your studies, and also to encourage you to think about issues beyond the confines of the curriculum you are currently studying.
- It is also designed to introduce you to life at university – the opportunities as well as the problems most often associated with the transition between secondary- and third-level education. Though this site is run by Queen’s Belfast, the general information provided applies to university history departments across these islands.
The site includes the following:
- Lectures and essays on key themes in modern Irish history.
- Up-to-date bibliographies of important recent work on nineteenth- and twentieth-century Irish history.
- Links to useful websites
- Discussion forum. This provides an opportunity for you to discuss your ideas with others. In order to access the forum you must register either through your school / college or through the administrators of the website
- Descriptions of undergraduate modules taught at Queen’s and links to members of staff who teach them. This will help you to get a sense of what are the normal requirements for all undergraduates, irrespective of which university they select, and will help you make informed decisions about your choice of university and degree.
- Undergraduate life. This includes general information about a degree in history, but also outlines our expectations for undergraduate students and the skills you will develop. In addition, we hope to include material written by current or recently-graduated undergraduates to give you a sense of the total Queen’s experience.
Hot Topics ...
Have a question about Irish History or studying at Queen's? Have an opinion? Check out the Discussion Forum!!
Latest news ...
- What was life like in Belfast 100 years ago? Take a look at Dr Olwen Purdue's BBC slideshow and podcast on the Belfast workhouse
- Interested in the Easter Rising? Listen to the esteemed Dr Fearghal McGarry discuss the event
- What do you know about the Troubles and the Good Friday Agreement? Check out a lecture by Dr Stuart Aveyard on the subject
- Looking for an interesting book to read? Check out the review of Cliona Rattigan's 'What else could I do?'
- Our Head of School talks about the Famine. Have a listen
- Here's some info for those interested in WWII in Northern Ireland
- Read about 19th-century emigration
- What do you know about Civil Authority (Special Powers) Act? Read here!
- Watch our Professor Liam Kennedy on Canadian tv
- Read about Queen Victoria and her visit to Ireland in August 1849
- Learn about the Williamite Wars
- Read about women at Queen's College Belfast in the early 20th century