News / Events
Irish Revolution Bibliography
The following books provide an overview of the Irish revolutionary period including the War of Independence of 1919-21 and the Irish Civil War of 1922-23.
Augusteijn, Joost, From public defiance to guerrilla warfare: the experience of ordinary Volunteers in the Irish War of Independence, 1916-1921 (1996)
Boyce, D. George (ed.) The revolution in Ireland, 1879-1923 (1988)
Campbell, Fergus, Land and the revolution: nationalist politics in the west of Ireland, 1891-1921 (2005)
Coleman, Marie, County Longford and the Irish revolution, 1910-1923 (2003)
Collins, Peter (ed.), Nationalism and unionism: conflict in Ireland, 1885-1921 (1994)
Fitzpatrick, David, Politics and Irish Life, 1913-1921: provincial experience of war and revolution (1977)
Garvin, Tom, 1922: the Birth of Irish Democracy (1996)
Hart, Peter, The IRA and its enemies: violence and community in County Cork, 1916-1923 (1998)
Hopkinson, Michael, The Irish War of Independence (2002)
Hopkinson, Michael, Green Against Green: Ireland’s Civil War (1988)
Kissane, Bill, The Politics of the Irish Civil War (2005)
Laffan, Michael, The resurrection of Ireland: the Sinn Féin party, 1916-1923 (1999)
Regan, John M, The Irish counter-revolution, 1921-1936 (1999)
Townshend, Charles, The British campaign in Ireland, 1919-21 (1975)
Hot Topics ...
Have a question about Irish History or studying at Queen's? Have an opinion? Check out the Discussion Forum!!
Latest news ...
- What was life like in Belfast 100 years ago? Take a look at Dr Olwen Purdue's BBC slideshow and podcast on the Belfast workhouse
- Interested in the Easter Rising? Listen to the esteemed Dr Fearghal McGarry discuss the event
- What do you know about the Troubles and the Good Friday Agreement? Check out a lecture by Dr Stuart Aveyard on the subject
- Looking for an interesting book to read? Check out the review of Quiet revolutionaries: Irish women in education, medicine and sport, 1861-1964 or the review of Cliona Rattigan's 'What else could I do?'
- Our Head of School talks about the Famine. Have a listen
- New entry on WWII in Northern Ireland
- Read about 19th-century emigration
- What do you know about Civil Authority (Special Powers) Act? Read here!
- Watch our Professor Liam Kennedy on Canadian tv
- Read about Queen Victoria and her visit to Ireland in August 1849
- Learn about the Williamite Wars
- Read about women at Queen's College Belfast in the early 20th century