News / Events
Partition and Northern Ireland Bibliography
General Survey HistoriesThe following survey accounts provide an overview of twentieth-century Irish politics.
Bew, Paul, The Politics of Enmity 1789-2006 (2007)
English, Richard, Irish Freedom: The History of Nationalism in Ireland (2006)
Ferriter, Diarmaid, The Transformation of Ireland (2004)
Fitzpatrick, David, The two Irelands, 1912-1939 (1998)
Foster, R. F, Modern Ireland, 1600-1972 (1988)
Jackson, Alvin, Ireland, 1798-1998 (1999)
Townshend, Charles, Ireland: the 20th century (1999)
Vaughan, W. E. (ed.), A new history of Ireland, vol. VI: Ireland under the union II (1996)
Hill, J. R. (ed), A new history of Ireland, vol VII Ireland 1921-1984 (2003)
Walsh, Oonagh, Ireland’s independence, 1880-1923 (2002)
The Best Single Account of the Partition of Ireland:Laffan, Michael, The partition of Ireland, 1911-1925 (1983)
Other Useful Studies Relating to Partition:Bowman, John, De Valera and the Ulster Question 1917-73 (1982)
Bew, Paul, Ideology and the Irish Question: Ulster Unionism and Irish Nationalism, 1912-1916 (1994)
Jackson, Alvin, Home Rule: An Irish History (2004)
BiographiesThe following biographies contain much of relevance to partition and the revolutionary period generally:
Buckland, Patrick, James Craig (1980)
English, Richard, Ernie O’Malley: IRA intellectual (1998)
Hart, Peter, Mick: the real Michael Collins (2005)
Jackson, Alvin, Sir Edward Carson (1993)
McGarry, Fearghal, Eoin O’Duffy: a self-made hero (2005)
Murphy, Brian P, Patrick Pearse and the lost republican ideal (1991)
Ulster/Northern IrelandThe following books cover the impact of the revolutionary period or its aftermath in Ulster or Northern Ireland (as the six counties of north-east Ulster became known after 1920).
Bardon, Jonathan, A History of Ulster (1992)
Buckland, Patrick, The Factory of Grievances: Devolved Government in Northern Ireland 1921-39 (1979)
Elliott, Marianne, The Catholics of Ulster (2000)
Lynch, Robert, The Northern I.R.A. and the early years of partition, 1920-1922 (2006)
Staunton, Enda, The Nationalists of Northern Ireland 1918-1973 (2001)
Walker, Graham, A history of the Ulster Unionist Party: Protest, pragmatism and pessimism (2004)
Hot Topics ...
Have a question about Irish History or studying at Queen's? Have an opinion? Check out the Discussion Forum!!
Latest news ...
- What was life like in Belfast 100 years ago? Take a look at Dr Olwen Purdue's BBC slideshow and podcast on the Belfast workhouse
- Interested in the Easter Rising? Listen to the esteemed Dr Fearghal McGarry discuss the event
- What do you know about the Troubles and the Good Friday Agreement? Check out a lecture by Dr Stuart Aveyard on the subject
- Looking for an interesting book to read? Check out the review of Cliona Rattigan's 'What else could I do?'
- Our Head of School talks about the Famine. Have a listen
- Here's some info for those interested in WWII in Northern Ireland
- Read about 19th-century emigration
- What do you know about Civil Authority (Special Powers) Act? Read here!
- Watch our Professor Liam Kennedy on Canadian tv
- Read about Queen Victoria and her visit to Ireland in August 1849
- Learn about the Williamite Wars
- Read about women at Queen's College Belfast in the early 20th century