News / Events
Queen's College Belfast Magazines
Q.C.B. was the student magazine at Queen's College Belfast. A full run of the magazine can be found in the Special Collections at the McClay Library at Queen's University Belfast. The magazines contain articles on contemporary topics, letters from students and responses from the editor, advertisements, and (often hilarious) accounts of university happenings.
Below are some articles relating to women at Queen's College Belfast - including comments on the women's studying and tea-making skills, their clothing, and their constant inability (or so the men say) to get to class on time! And when you're finished reading the short extracts, why not post a comment to the Discussion Forum!
'The lady students: the lady Arts' in Queen's College Belfast, vol. iv, no. 6 (Apr. 1903), p. 93. [download pdf]
'Men Students: by a mere girl' in Queen's College Belfast, iv, no. 7 (May 1903), p. 103. [download pdf]
'The Arts School' in Queen's College Belfast, vi, no. 6 (1905), p. 14. [download pdf]
Hot Topics ...
Have a question about Irish History or studying at Queen's? Have an opinion? Check out the Discussion Forum!!
Latest news ...
- What was life like in Belfast 100 years ago? Take a look at Dr Olwen Purdue's BBC slideshow
- Interested in the Easter Rising? Listen to the esteemed Dr Fearghal McGarry discuss the event
- What do you know about the Troubles and the Good Friday Agreement? Check out a lecture by Dr Stuart Aveyard on the subject
- Looking for an interesting book to read? Check out the review of Quiet revolutionaries: Irish women in education, medicine and sport, 1861-1964 or the review of Cliona Rattigan's 'What else could I do?'
- Our Head of School talks about the Famine. Have a listen
- New entry on WWII in Northern Ireland
- Read about 19th-century emigration
- What do you know about Civil Authority (Special Powers) Act? Read here!
- Watch our Professor Liam Kennedy on Canadian tv
- Read about Queen Victoria and her visit to Ireland in August 1849
- Learn about the Williamite Wars
- Read about women at Queen's College Belfast in the early 20th century