International Student Support

Police Registration

Do I need to register with the Police?
When do I register?
Where do I register? 
What documents do I need?

Do I need to register with the Police?

Your visa will tell you whether or not you need to register with the Police.

The following are countries or territories whose nationals or citizens are relevant foreign nationals for the purposes of Part 10 of the Immigration Rules (Registration with the Police):

Afghanistan  China  Kazakhstan  Palestine  Turkey 
Algeria Colombia Kirgizstan  Peru  Turkmenistan 
Argentina Cuba Kuwait Qatar  United Arab Emirates 
Armenia Egypt  Lebanon  Russia  Ukraine 
Azerbaijan  Georgia  Libya  Saudi Arabia  Uzbekistan 
Bahrain Iran  Moldova  Sudan Yemen 
Belarus Iraq  Morocco  Syria   
Bolivia Israel  North Korea  Tajikistan   
Brazil Jordan  Oman  Tunisia   

Back to top

When do I register?

You should register with the Police as quickly as possible when you arrive.  International Student Support can give you more information about this when you arrive at Queen's.

Back to top

Where do I register?

(1) New students: during the International Welcome and Orientation session you will be given the opportunity to register with the Police onsite at Queen's.  Check your welcome pack for information about this.  If you are unable to register during the Orientation period for any reason, you must go to the Police Station to register.  International Student Support will give you guidance on how to do this.

(2) Existing students in the UK: you must update your police registration certificate each time you make changes to your visa or your address details.  International Student Support can guide you through this process.

Back to top

What documents will I need?

When you go to register you will need the following:

  • Your passport;
  • Your current visa;
  • Two passport sized photos;
  • A letter from Queen's confirming your enrolment on your course;
  • £34.00 fee for your police registration certificate.

You must keep your certificate safe.  When you change your address you must take your certificate to the police station to be updated.  You will also need your certificate when you are applying to extend your visa.

Contact us with any queries at



Back to top