Visas and Immigration

This section of our website is designed for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals.  If you are not from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, then you will be subject to immigration control and you should read these pages carefully.

Our immigration advice and services are carried out in accordance with the UKCISA Codes of Ethics and regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).  The OISC regulations cover the management structures, casework procedure and standards of service required to operate at each of the competence levels.

The guidance gives basic information on UK immigration procedures and also provides links to other websites such as:

UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) department of Home Office
UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) 


The information in these sections is given in good faith and has been carefully checked.  Queen's University Belfast accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy.


Studying in the UK


Adult Tier 4 General

Understanding the Points Based System

Adult Students Tier 4 (General)

Applying from Outside the UK

Entry Clearance Guidance

Visas - Students applying from outside the UK

Extending Your Tier 4 Visa in the UK

Leave to Remain Guidance

Visas - Extending your visa in the UK as a student

Working in the UK


Working in the UK as a Student

Do you have permission to work in the UK as a student?

Working in the UK

International student outside Whitla hall attending winter graduation

Doctorate Extension Scheme Visa

What is the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme?

Doctorate Extension Scheme

EPIC_Robotics_Queens Day 7-020

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa

Information on who is eligible and how to apply

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur

Travelling in the UK

Visas for Travelling

Explore the UK and Further Afield

Visas for Travelling


Inviting Your Friends or Family

Request a Visitor Visa Support Letter

Inviting your friend or family member to stay for less than six months

a group of students drinking coffee in a restaurant in Belfast

Dependant Visa Application

Applying for your Family to join you in the UK

Inviting your family to stay for more than six months