Ivani Santana is a dancer and choreographer working in the field of dance-technology since 1990 and since 2005 she have been working with Network Dance Perfomance.
She holds a Master’s Degree and a Ph.D. in Communication and Semiotics from Pontifícia Univerisidade Católica (Catholic University), São Paulo, Brazil.
Post doctorate is in course at Sonic Arts Research Center, Queen's University Befast, NI/UK (support CAPES)
She is professor at Institute of Humanities, Arts and Sciences Prof. Milton Santos
And at the Master and Ph.D. Program of Theater and Dance
University of Bahia, Brazil.
Coordinator of the Research Group Technological Poetics
Director of the community – Map and Program of Digital Dance (MAPA D2)
She wrote the books:
Corpo Aberto: Cunningham, Dança e Novas Tecnologias [Open Body: Cunninghan, Dance and New Technologies] (SP:Fapesp/Educ, 2002) and
Dança na Cultura Digital [Dance at the Digital Culture] (BA:Fapesb/Edufba,2006),
and many articles at international journal, i.e. Nouvelles des Danse (France), and Performance and Media (PADM) and Culture and Globalization (UK)
In 2006, Her Royal Highness the Princess of Hanover, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador, and the Director-General of UNESCO awarded the UNESCO Prize for the Promotion of the Arts – New Technologies to Ms Ivani Santana from Brazil for her creation entitled “Man Has Made His Difference” during the Monaco Dance Forum.
At this event she also was invited to be a choreographer in residence during September 2007 at the Centre Choregraphique National, in Aix-en-Provence- France.
At this residence she created Le Moi, Le Crystal et L'Eau.
Ivani Santana has been working at several projects of dance-technology: interactive dance, immersive dance, installation performance, videodance, and, since 2005, her attention has been turned to the Network Dance Performance.
- Corpo Aberto (2001) [Open Body] awarded at Rumos Dance Itau 2001, presented at Dança Brasil and Brasil Move Berlin (2003) at Germany, and others;
- Pele (2002) [Skin], created at the residence of Atelier of Brazilian Choreographers , presented at Bienal Internacional de Dança de Santos, and others;
- Casa de Nina (2004) [House of Nina] presented as a project at Monaco Dance Forum 2004, exhibition at Caixa Cultural, and also International Cultural Forum , and others;
- VERSUS (2005) First Network Dance created in Brazil. This telematic project was made between 3 cities: João Pessoa, Salvador and Brasilia, support RNP.
- Proyecto Paso (2006) [Path Project], Networking Performance created at a collective from Spain, Brazil and USA, as well as Nukenen, Paso a Chile [Nukenen, Path to Chile], created between these three countries and Chile, it was a project of the Spanish group "en lugar de creación";
- Le Moi, Le Crystal et L'Eau (2007) Centre Choregraphique National, in Aix-en-Provence- France. Monaco Dance Forum award.
- e_Pormundos Afeto (2009, 2010, 2011) Network Dance Performance, Brasil/Spain, project created at the Work Group of Digital Media and Arts (support RNP) with partnership with LAVID/UFPB, where we developed the tool ARTHRON to work with Network Performance;
FRAGIL (2011), final creation of the project Laboratorium MAPA D2, Network Performance between Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and Fortaleza, Brazil.