Preparing and Giving Lectures, theory and practice
Please note that this is a two-part course. Participants must attend both sessions.
Date: 12 October 2016, Time: 9.30 am – 5.00 pm Please note this has been cancelled.
Additional course on: 25 January 2017, 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm, with the second session on 1 February 2017, 2.00 pm – 5.00 pm
16 participants maximum
The major focus of Part 1 will be preparing lectures. Part 2 will focus on the giving the lecture. The workshops will include input from the tutor as well as opportunities for discussion and developing skills.
Content Part 1:
- A model for preparing lectures;
- Exploration of different ways in which lectures can be structured;
- Consideration of how the structure of lectures might change as students progress through a programme;
- Examination of how processes to encourage student participation might be incorporated into a lecture;
- Opportunities to reflect upon the appropriate time to spend on preparation.
Part 2 Content:
- A model for creating a context which facilitates student learning and minimises disruptive challenges to the lecturer;
- Some tips on how to project a sense of presence in the lecture theatre;
- The importance of how the lecture begins and the approaches which facilitate student engagement;
- Managing student participation in the lecture;
- Strategies for preparing self to give a lecture.
Designed for: Academic staff, research staff, teaching assistants
- To explore methods of planning, preparing and organising lectures for groups of various sizes;
- To discuss and develop effective communication strategies for lecturing;
- To discuss and develop the skills necessary for the effective management of the teaching/learning environment;
- To develop an awareness of student learning within a lecture context.
Registration is via Queen’s Online (In the navigation under My Services, select Other then Training Courses).
Teaching and/or Supporting Student Learning
Teaching, Student Learning, Preparing Lectures, Giving Lectures, Tips on Lecturing, Theory of Lecturing
Course Contact Details
Centre for Educational Development
028 9097 1447