The Copty Scholarship
The specific purpose of the award is to support a postgraduate student from Palestine who otherwise would not be able to study at Queen’s due to financial limitations. To be eligible for this scholarship you must have Palestinian nationality and live in the West Bank or Gaza, and belong to a family normally resident there.
The Scholarship will cover international tuition fees for a taught masters.
Accommodation in a single room, suitable for one person, will also be provided in Queen’s accommodation for the duration of a one year Masters programme.
One scholarship will be awarded for 2021/22
Applications close 10 May 2021
If no suitable candidate is identified, the scholarship will be transferred to the following year.
Terms and Conditions
- Eligible students should hold Palestinian nationality and live in the West Bank or Gaza, and belong to a family normally resident there.
- Eligible students must be unable to study abroad through the finances of your immediate family.
- Students must hold an offer for a place on a full-time masters taught programme starting in the academic year 2021/22 at the Queen’s University Belfast campus which has been confirmed as their FIRM choice, and prior to commencement of study have met any academic and language conditions attached to their offer as stated in their offer letter. This programme should be a one year course within The Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences, The Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences or The School of Law
- Eligible students should hold an undergraduate degree that is equivalent to a UK 2.1 Degree or higher from a university in the West Bank or Gaza and must not have already completed a Masters, or have studied outside of the West Bank or Gaza, except for short courses.
- Eligible students must meet English language requirements acceptable to the course you wish to study. Queen’s University will accept the IELTS Academic (both SELT and non-SELT), and TOEFL internet –based tests for direct admission.
- Students must be classified as international fee-paying students paying the international tuition fee rate in order to be considered for this award. Students paying NI/GB/ROI fees are not eligible for the Copty Scholarship
- The scholarship will provide tuition fees for a one year taught Masters in the subject areas listed above and accommodation in a room suitable for one person, in Queen’s Accommodation.
- To be eligible for the scholarship applicants must complete the online application form with supporting documents within the deadline
- If you wish to defer your entry to the University your scholarship will not be transferred.
- If you are in receipt of funding (either tuition fees or tuition fees and living costs) from an external sponsorship body such as Government, a charity or a private organisation you will not be eligible for the Scholarship.
- Students must request authorisation from the International Office before making any changes to their programme of study. Where changes are made without authorisation being granted, the scholarship may be withdrawn and students may be required to repay the scholarship in full.
- In the event that a student has received scholarship offers for a number of different programmes at Queen’s University, they will only be able to redeem one scholarship award. This will be the scholarship award for the course onto which they enrol in the 2021/22 academic year.
- The University is unable to consider requests for increased and/or further funding. The amount of scholarship offered is non-negotiable.
- The University’s decision regarding successful scholars of the programme is final, and no further correspondence shall be entered into.
- The University reserves the right to vary all or any scholarship awards, discounts and regulations at its sole discretion.
Conditions of holding the Scholarship:
- As a Queen’s student you will fulfil the expectations detailed in the Student Charter
- You give permission for the Queen’s Foundation to contact your School at the end of each Term to ask for a report on your academic progress
- When we offer you a scholarship, you tell us about any issues that could prevent you from taking up the scholarship on the criteria and conditions outlined above.