In this section you'll find links to entry requirements, the application process and contact details. Everything you need to make an informed decision on studying at Queen's is right here.
Important information for applicants
Undergraduate entry requirements
The following qualifications will be considered for direct entry to undergraduate programmes:
- The Sijil Tingii Persekolahan Malaysia (Malaysia Higher School Certificate) (STPM) is considered comparable to A-levels. Grades in three of the five subjects must meet our A-level grade requirements (excluding General Studies and Malay language).
- Completion of the Matrikulasi (Matriculation Certificate) with a minimum average GPA of 3.0 may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Completion of the Unified Examination Certificate (UEC - Senior Middle Level) with a minimum of ABBBBB in six academic subjects and Grade A1 or A2 in relevant subjects will be considered.
Typical requirements in six subjects (excluding Chinese and Malay) for applicants with UEC would be as follows:
- AAAABB (comparable to AAB at A-Level)
- AAABBB (comparable to ABB at A-Level)
- AABBBB (comparable to BBB at A-Level)
- ABBBBB (comparable to BBC at A Level)
- South Australian Matriculation (SAM) administered by the SACE Board of South Australia with score of 80/Grade B or above.
- Victorian Certificate of Education with average of grade B
- Canadian High School or Secondary School Diploma with an overall score of 75-80%
- Between 30 and 36 points in the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB). Information on required grades.
To be considered for entry to Medicine or Dentistry, the required STPM grades are A,A (in Chemistry and Biology) and A- in another subject excluding Pengajian Am (General Studies) and Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language).
College/Institute Diplomas - applicants holding a three-year post SPM diploma with good grades may be considered for direct entry to Stage two of undergraduate programmes on a case by case basis.
The grades required will vary according to your chosen programme. Please check our Course Finder for detailed entry requirements.
- Postgraduate entry requirements
Entry to graduate diploma or taught masters programmes at Queen's University Belfast usually requires either a UK upper second-class (2:1) or a lower second-class (2:2) undergraduate degree. For most courses, your major subject or content of your Bachelor degree may also be considered. Please check our Course Finder for specific entry requirements.
The comparable Malaysian qualifications are as follows:
UK Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1)
A good Bachelor degree awarded by a recognised Malaysian university with Class 2 division 1 or a CGPA of 3.0/4.
UK Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2)
A good Bachelor degree awarded by a recognised Malaysian university with Class 2 division 2 or a CGPA of 2.7/4.
Advanced Diploma (Engineering/Science relevant) from Tunku Abdul Rahman College with CGPA 2.8 and above will be considered for entry to postgraduate taught Master's programmes in Engineering/Science.
When submitting your application, please ensure that you upload copies of official transcripts for completed programmes as well as those currently in progress. Degree award certificates for programmes already complete should also be provided.
Sometimes, it may be possible to exercise flexibility in the case of applicants who have completed their degree with slightly lower grades than those outlined in their offer letter. In these cases, the decision will be at the discretion of the Academic Selector.
On completion of your degree, you should forward a copy of your official transcript and award certificate to email@example.com to confirm the award of your qualification and the overall grade. Unfortunately, we cannot advise you further until we receive this documentation.
INTO Queen's Preparation Courses
For those interested in Computing, Finance or Management courses, but who do not meet the entry requirements, you may wish to consider a a pre-masters Graduate Diploma offered by INTO Queen's.
Students interested in undertaking a PhD at Queen’s University need good grades in their Bachelor and Masters degree programmes awarded by a recognised university, in addition to a strong research proposal.
- English language requirements
Applicants will normally need to demonstrate a level of English equivalent to 6.5 IELTS or 90 TOEFL IBT (Internet based test). However, some degree programmes have higher or lower requirements (please check individual programme requirements in the relevant Course Finder. The University considers the Cambridge GCE O Level English Language syllabus 1119 with good grades to be an acceptable English Language qualification, however for entry to Medicine or Dentistry an IELTS test is recommended. View the full list of acceptable English Language qualifications.
INTO Queen's - Pre-University English Language Programmes
INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a wide range of English Language courses, which may assist students to meet the required standard of English language to be eligible for entry to degree programmes at the University. If you wish to apply for an INTO Queen's English course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or consult the INTO website
- Representatives and overseas visits
Queen's has a network of agents and representatives committed to providing you with high levels of support. More information on our network and a list of agents by country can be found on the University's agent webpages.
The British Council in your country can also offer advice on studying in the UK.
INTO Queen's Pre-University Courses
INTO Queen’s University Belfast is a partnership with Queen's University which offers academic courses and English language programmes designed specifically for international students. The courses help prepare students for entry to university in the UK and acclimatise students to living and studying in a university environment.
INTO Queen's academic programmes include:
- International Foundation programme
- Graduate Diploma programme
- International Diploma programme
INTO Queen's English Language courses include:
- English for Undergraduate Study
- English for Postgraduate Study
- Study Abroad with English
- Pre-Sessional English
- Summer School English
- Insessional English