Skip to Content

Disability and Wellbeing

Disability and Wellbeing

The University is committed to creating an inclusive environment and seeks to ensure that students with a disability or long-term condition have equitable access as far as reasonably possible to all aspects of University life.

The University will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all students can benefit from the full range of academic, cultural and social activities that the University offers.

Students with a disability or long term condition are encouraged to register with the University's Disability Service to ensure their individual needs are assessed and relevant support is put in place for their chosen course of study and wider participation in University life.

Disability and Wellbeing at Queen's

Join Disability Officer, Orla Creggan, for her webinar on the support provided by the Disability and Wellbeing Service at Queen's.  

Our aim is:

To provide prospective and current students and staff of the University with appropriate information relating to disability issues, and to outline the relevant resources and services available at Queen's.


The Student Wellbeing Team offer a comprehensive range of support services which are accessible, flexible and responsive. Their services are free and available to registered students at the University. Find out more about support available below.

Disability and Wellbeing Drop-In

The Disability and Wellbeing Drop-In can be accessed remotely via telephone or in person at the Student Guidance Centre.

A member of the Wellbeing team will listen to your issues or concerns, and talk through suitable support options. 

During your Drop In meeting, the Disability & Wellbeing Adviser may feel that you need a longer appointment to discuss your issues and explore suitable support options. Therefore you may be offered a 1:1 appointment with an appropriate member of the team.

Meet with a Wellbeing Adviser

Students can request a meeting with a Wellbeing Adviser by completing an online enquiry form or via the drop-in service. Students will be allocated a one hour consultation appointment with a Wellbeing Adviser to discuss their issues/concerns and look at appropriate support options. If they feel you need counselling or support from another external service they can discuss that with you.

Counselling Support

The Counselling Service is run in partnership with Inspire, a local counselling organisation.

Working with Inspire gives Queen's students access to a range of different clinical skills. Counselling is also a free service to our students. It is provided on a short-term, brief solution focused model, normally between 4 - 6 sessions.

Counselling staff are all trained, experienced, and extremely committed to the work they do. Students are gently challenged to face their problems, to set goals on how to achieve solutions to problems and actively work towards those goals.

Online Self Care Material

Students can explore a wide range of self-care materials through the Inspire Student hub. If you feel that things aren't improving through accessing the self-help materials, please arrange to meet with a Wellbeing Adviser, it may be that you need to talk to someone to help you work your way through your issues, or it may be that you need to engage with other specialist services. 

Safe and Healthy Relationships

The Student Wellbeing Services are keen to support all students develop and maintain Safe & Healthy relationships.  This includes promoting a zero tolerance policy for sexual misconduct, bullying, harassment or any form of hate crime.

Within Student Wellbeing there is a specialist Adviser to support you. Please go to Safe & Healthy Relationships page for more information.

Education and Awareness-Raising

The Student Wellbeing Services deliver a range of workshops and events throughout the academic year.

They also offer Wellbeing on Weekdays events. Events focus on the Take 5 Steps to Wellbeing (Be Active, Connect, Take Notice, Give and Keep Learning). Follow Student Wellbeing on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages for more information.

Mind Your Mood

Mind Your Mood is a student led mental health campaign that offers free mental health awareness workshops to students.

Our workshops equip you with skills to manage stress and improve emotional resilience, and provide information about the early warning signs of common mental health problems, including stress, depression and anxiety.

View video>

"Queen’s itself has an entire system for student and faculty well-being. Being social can take a big hit on mental health, so the Student Guidance Centre’s Wellbeing programmes are a great place to start for mental health-focused events. They host a completely unique event every week, from using the art of knitting as a calming mechanism to trips to Cave hill and the Ulster Museum as safe space social gatherings".

Tamanna Khurana (MA Arts Management)

Contact us

Student Disability Office  028 9097 5250
Student Wellbeing Office  028 9097 2893   

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who do Disability Services support?

    We currently provide support to students with a wide range of disabilities, including those with:

    • Physical and mobility difficulties
    • Visual impairments
    • Hearing impairments
    • Medical conditions
    • Specific learning difficulties e.g. dyslexia
    • Mental health difficulties
    • Autistic Spectrum Conditions
  • Should I disclose my disability or long-term condition? 

    Deciding to disclose your disability or long-term condition is a personal decision. However, we strongly recommend that you inform us at application stage to enable us to address your individual support requirements. It is best to put support in place as soon as possible so that your university experience is the best it can be, however, you can disclose at any point during your course of study. Disclosing your disability or medical condition could allow you to receive support that you may not have realised is available.  All information will be treated in strict confidence in line with GDPR regulations. 

  • How do I register with Disability Services?

    To register with our service please ensure you complete a pre-registration questionnaire and provide relevant medical evidence on our website:

    Once this is completed, we will be in touch to arrange a meeting with one of the Disability Officers, who will discuss the supports that may be available to you when studying at Queen’s. Please do not be nervous before the appointment; we are here to help you.

  • What types of support are available?

    During your registration appointment with Disability Services, a Disability Officer will discuss and agree appropriate reasonable adjustments for you in the academic environment (in-course support). For example, support during lectures, tutorials, assessments, exams and the library.

    Your Disability Officer will consider what support you found beneficial in the past and assess the information contained in your medical evidence before making recommendations. Support recommendations will be tailored to your individual needs.

  • Will I receive the same support I had at school?

    Support at university is guided by the nature of your chosen course of study and your needs. This means that support may be course specific and differ from school support, but often additional support is available.

  • Is there any funded support available? 

    Students from Great Britain and Northern Ireland may be entitled to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). DSA assists students who require additional support in order to access their course as a direct result of their disability, health condition or Specific Learning Difficulty.

    DSA may help fund specialist equipment, one-to-one support, consumables and travel. Funding will depend on your disability and supporting medical evidence. Specific funded supports will be determined at a Needs Assessment appointment. The fund is not means tested and usually any equipment you receive will be yours to keep after you graduate. The fund is managed and approved by Student Finance in the region you reside (home address). You can apply at any time during your course, but we would advise applying before you start your course. The process can take around 12-14 weeks to complete so please start this process as soon as you can.

  • I have dyslexia and received support in school. Do I need to be retested to receive support at university?

    For Specific Learning Difficulties (e.g. Dyslexia, dyscalculia) a full diagnostic assessment report, from a Chartered Psychologist or Specialist Teacher who holds a current practising certificate in Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) Assessment will be required in order to register with Disability Services and receive support.

  • I would like to be tested for dyslexia, how do I go about this?

    Disability Services hold a list of approved assessors, but you can arrange to be assessed by an Educational psychologist or qualified assessor of your choice.

  • How much does a diagnostic assessment cost?

    Costs can vary from £400 - £700. The assessors on the Disability Services list charge approximately £400 and UK students can apply for assistance with covering some of these costs once they are a registered student.

Connect with us

For insights into student life, don’t forget to follow us on social media.