Postdocs are amazing!!!
Postdocs are doing an incredible work for the University and, in addition to driving our research forward, contribute to our innovation, teaching or public engagement, thus contributing to shape a new generation of curious and talented individuals. However, between deadlines, busy schedules and all the setbacks involved with research, it's sometimes easy to forget!
The PDC is commited to promote ways to show our postdocs that we value their contribution:
We celebrate our talented QUB postdocs during National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW), the week of the third Monday of September!View the NPAW's page
The PDC awards prizes to recognise postdoc excellence in research, public engagement, citizenship and support of students and staff.PDC Postdoc Prizes
The Vice-Chancellor's Research Prizes from the Research and Enterprise Directorate include a "Postdoc" and an "Early Career Researcher" categories.View the page
The PDC Newsletter showcases postdoc achievements like prizes, funding, papers, new jobs etc. Let us know about your/your colleagues' successes!View the PDC Newsletters
Thank you to all the managers who are supporting their postdocs and making them feel valued; you are making a massive difference motivating them, boosting their confidence and kicking the imposter's syndrome away!
As a postdoc's manager, there are multiple ways you can use to show your postdocs that you appreciate their work, either with formal University recognition schemes or by very simple day-to-day gestures (click on + to see examples).
- STAR (Staff Recognition) awards: The STAR scheme allows managers to recognise an exceptional contribution by awarding ad hoc £10, £25 or £50 vouchers (STAR recognition award). In addition, a STAR performance award scheme exists to recognise exceptional performance during the academic year. They are under the responsibility of Heads of School/Directors, who you can contact to suggest they nominate a specific research staff. More about STAR
- Vice-Chancellor Research Prizes: They are awarded once a year based on self-nominations and include a Postdoctoral Researcher Prize and an Early Career Researcher Prize, which can be relevant to independent fellows. You can encourage your postdoc to apply! More on the VC Research Prizes
- PDC Postdoc prizes: The Postdoc prizes reward postdoctoral researchers who "go the extra mile" and include the "Researcher of the year" prize in the AHSS Faculty as well as 4 prizes in MHLS and EPS: "Research excellence", "Outstanding engagement", "Exceptional support" and "Postdoc citizenship". They are based on nominations from PIs, other postdocs and staff and students in some cases. More on PDC Prizes
- Staff Excellence Awards: They are open to all staff and are awarded once a year based on nominations in 6 different categories: delivering excellence, community engagement, achieving ambition, team of the year, outstanding leadership and lifetime achievement. More information on Staff Excellence Awards
Day to day recognition:
- Tell them when they are doing well
- Give them credit for their contributions to the team’s work, especially in public and in front of senior management
- Share their achievements on relevant newsletters (School/Centre newsletter, PDC newsletter etc.)
- Share their achievements on social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.). Please use #LovePostdocs, #LoveQUB and tag @QUBPostdoc
- Celebrate successes as a team (papers, prizes, funding etc.)
- Wish them a happy National Postdoc Appreciation Week!