Skip to Content

Guidelines for Students on Exceptional Circumstances

Things may not always go to plan during your time at University; something may happen that has an impact on you personally and, therefore, on your academic progress.  If any such factors have a significant effect on you and your studies (especially around the time of assessment deadlines or exams), you should always let someone in your School know at the earliest opportunity.

The University also recognises that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to present particular circumstances for students which may impact upon their ability to engage with their studies, and to submit or complete assessments.  Accordingly, the guidance on Exceptional Circumstances for the 2021-22 academic year ensures that provision is made for the particular challenges faced by students during this academic year and that students have the opportunity to have their circumstances taken into consideration, if needed.

Download the Student Exceptional Circumstances Application Form 2021-22 (last updated 20 October 2021).

Details of the University deadlines for exceptional circumstances are available on the Key Dates section of the website.

This guide will help you understand what exceptional circumstances are and explain how and when you should inform your School.  It is essential that you read the University Study Regulations in conjunction with this guide.  In the event of any confusion, the University will rely on the Regulations in order to reach a decision.