Scholarships and awards must be advertised to all eligible candidates. It is imperative to ensure that the correct processes and resources are in place to ensure the awards are effectively managed at local level in line with their regulations.
When advertised, awards must comply with information provided on the SAG1 Form approved by the Student Scholarships and Awards Group. If amendments to the regulations are required, they must be approved by the Student Scholarships and Awards Group before the revised award can be advertised (see Section 4).
6.2 Data Protection and Personal Information
While students at registration are asked to sign their consent to having details of prizes and awards released to the media, it is essential, in line with the General Data Protection Regulations, to include a Data Protection statement required for the use of personal information on both application forms and award letters.
An example is set out below which is based on awards under the governance of the Student Scholarships and Awards Group. Schools/Faculties should consider the example provided and apply/amend as appropriate to need.
Using Personal Information
The personal data we collect in this form will only be used in support of the legitimate interests and lawful purposes (or part thereof) outlined below. The University’s general Student Privacy Notice can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/privacynotice/Students/
- Assessing the application against the criteria for the Scholarship.
- This will involve the application being made available to members of the Scholarship committee through a secured SharePoint site. Hard copies of all applications are confidentially destroyed after the meeting. One electronic copy will be held on a secure network drive for six years after the awards process, in line with the Academic Affairs Retention Schedule.
- Maintaining the basic information provided on the form on the Scholarships Database.
- This database does not record any personal sensitive information and is held on a secure network drive for six years following the awards process, in line with the Academic Affairs Retention Schedule.
- Reporting the names of successful recipients of the Scholarship to the University’s Student Scholarships and Awards Group. This includes recording the recipients’ names in the Minutes of the meeting of the Group.
- Inclusion of recipients’ names and photographs in respect of any scholarship presentation ceremony held and associated publicity.
- Notification to any regulatory authority deemed as lawful and correct.
By submitting this application for consideration, you are giving us permission to perform these actions.