Skip to main content

Most University buildings will be open during the “normal” working/academic day and you do not need your card or any other device to gain access.  The main location where you do need to use your Smart Card for access is the McClay Library.

Emergency Access

Security Control is able to facilitate emergency access to buildings by calling 028 90 975098/5099 (external) or ext 5098/5099 (internal) and producing a valid staff/student card. Security Control is open 24/7.


With the exception of the locations above, students typically do not need to use their Smart Cards for door access.  However, some Schools do allow students controlled access to their buildings – for example in the evenings.  Schools have already supplied Estates with the details of students who require their Cards to be enabled for building/door access. If you think you should have controlled access to a building/door, you should contact your School Manager.


If you have previously used a PIN code to gain access to any building, then you may be able to use your Smart Card instead (see below).

Using your Smart Card instead of a PIN

For proximity readers, you can either enter your PIN code (followed by #) or hold your  Smart Card within 2cm of the reader. 


         Proximity Reader