Queen’s University of Belfast is committed to the highest standards of excellence in education and research and this commitment applies equally to the management of the health and safety for staff, students and others who may be affected by matters within its control. The University will adopt best practice in all areas of health and safety management through continuous improvement in the control of risk.
The Senate, as the governing body of the University, has ultimate responsibility for the Health and Safety Policy and for monitoring the effectiveness of supporting systems.
The Vice-Chancellor has executive responsibility for ensuring the implementation and monitoring of the Health and Safety Policy, including the provision of adequate resources and for ensuring that the University complies with all relevant statutory requirements and associated codes of practice.
Health and safety is an integral part of the management of the University’s undertakings and a core function of University Managers who, through the organisational structures, will take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that:-
· the risks to health and safety throughout its undertaking are properly assessed;
· there are safe systems of work in place;
· there is a safe environment in which to work;
· managers and supervisors have appropriate knowledge and competence to deal effectively with health and safety issues;
· staff, students and others are given adequate supervision, information, instruction and training in order to carry out their work and studies safely
· there is an effective mechanism through which Safety Representatives are consulted in good time on health and safety matters.
The Occupational Health and Safety Service will provide all necessary professional support and advice to University Managers.
Staff and students have a duty to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Staff and student co-operation and commitment is essential to ensure successful implementation of the health and safety policy.
Queen's University Belfast is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
For more information please read our Equality and Diversity Policy.
Queen's University Belfast is registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC101788
VAT registration number: GB 254 7995 11