Our vision is to become a low carbon organisation, by reducing our carbon emissions and providing a high quality and sustainable working and learning environment for students and staff.
The target for the University is an ambitious 21% reduction in carbon emissions by 2020 against a 2008 base year.
How will we achieve this?
Realising the University’s low carbon vision will involve a thorough appraisal of our impacts in relation to:
- Green ICT
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Minimisation
- Travel and Transport
- Change Management
- Alternative Energy (Renewables & CHP)
We want to empower staff and students to achieve a low carbon lifestyle. This has involved getting people to make the necessary behavioural changes such as switching off lights, recycling in the workplace and thinking about more sustainable ways to travel to work.
This is being achieved through our Green Impact Programme.
Green Impact Programme
Green Impact is an environmental accreditation scheme with an awards element designed for university departments. University staffs take part each academic year and, depending on the number of environmental actions they carry out, can achieve either: ‘working towards accreditation’, or a ‘Bronze’, ‘Silver’ or ‘Gold’ award for making their workplaces greener.
The scheme is currently delivered and supported by the National Union of Students (NUS). The scheme aims to empower individuals and departments to reduce their environmental impact by encouraging, rewarding and celebrating practical environmental improvements.
If you are interested in joining CEM’s Green Team please email: email@example.com
Green at Queen’s
If you would like more information on what is happening around Queen’s check out:
Queen's Carbon Management Webpage: www.qub.ac.uk/carbon
Official Twitter Account: @greenatqueens
If you would an overview of how Green at Queen’s we are, check out our Green Awards Video
Here are some simple ways to be more Green at Queen’s:
- Switch it off! Any unnecessary electrical equipment e.g. computers lights, kitchen appliances such as toasters and microwaves
- Reduce reuse and recycle - Check out Estates' A-Z Waste Guide
- Take the stairs - Reduce energy and be more active!
- Sustainable Travel – Leave the car home for the day and take the bike, bus, train or walk to Queen's
- Have a paperless meeting - Reduce your paper usage by using tablets, screens and printing double-sided.
- Bring a reusable bottle or cup to use at work to help reduce unnecessary bottles and coffee cups going to landfill.
If you would like to join our environmental champion network or to get more information on any environmental issues such as travel, waste or energy please email firstname.lastname@example.org