Staff Travel During Covid 19 Pandemic
APPROVAL PROCESS – STAFF TRAVEL DURING COVID 19 PANDEMIC
*For the purposes of this process, travel includes air travel l/ transfers / accommodation etc.
Northern Ireland and Common Travel Area (CTA)
The University is advising staff against all but essential travel for business or study outside of Northern Ireland and the Common Travel Area (i.e. United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands).
Where staff travel INSIDE the CTA is considered essential the following steps should be followed:
- A request to travel in the CTA should be discussed with the line manager and a risk assessment carried out. Once approved, travel can be booked in the normal way through Selective Travel. Staff will need to check the guidance from NI Executive at the time of travel as this will change over time.
- If you are travelling from NI to other regions of the Common Travel Area and staying overnight, you should take a rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) before you begin your journey home.
- You should only travel if the test is negative.
- After you return home you should take an LFD test on day two and day eight.
- Travellers must ensure they are aware of local guidelines and restrictions and abide by these during their stay and on their return home.
Outside Northern Ireland and CTA
Where staff travel outside NI and the CTA is considered essential, the following steps should be followed:
- An International Travel Justification Form to be completed by traveller (staff member). Sufficient detail must be provided to ensure clarity on the reason for travel and the risk mitigation arrangements in place.
- The form should be submitted to Head of School/Director to confirm travel is essential, a robust plan has been prepared and appropriate country specific mitigations are in place for both legs of the journey and time in country, and include contingency plans should self-isolation or quarantine be necessary.
- If approved by Head of School/Director, the form should be submitted to the UEB Travel Sub-Group (email@example.com), who will determine if the mitigations included have reduced the risk to an acceptable level.
- The Group will meet weekly as required and the Traveller should ensure the form is submitted on a timely basis to ensure sufficient time for the approval process.
- The outcome of the Sub-Group’s consideration will be provided to the traveller. If approved, confirmation to enable booking of the Travel will be forwarded to:
- the Traveller and Head of School /Director
- the University’s Travel Management Company, Selective Travel
- the Insurance Section (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This process relates to staff travel only, students should refer to the Student FAQ’s relating to travel.