The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2006 (the Regulations), make discrimination on grounds of age unlawful in the following areas:
- employment and occupation;
- further and higher education;
- vocational training.
The Regulations prohibit all employers, regardless of size, from subjecting job applicants and employees, including contract workers and former employees, to age discrimination and harassment. It is unlawful for an employer to discriminate in all aspects of the employment relationship, such as:
- recruitment and selection;
- terms and conditions of employment;
- working environment (conduct and harassment);
- access to (employment related) benefits;
- termination of employment – such as dismissal and redundancy; and
- post-employment situations – such as the provision of references.
If you would like further information on age discrimination, please click here.