The following Job Titles have been agreed within the current University structure and should be used when completing a Job Summary. It is important that job titles for ‘like’ posts are standardised. It is not normal policy to revise job titles. Any revision of titles would happen by exception and with the express support of the relevant Head of School/Director together with reasons for the required change.
Academic and Research posts (Ac1 and above)
Standard generic job titles should be used i.e. Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Research Assistant, Research Fellow etc.
Academic-Related Posts (Grade 7 and above)
- Grade 9 posts would normally be a Head of Unit/Senior Manager.
- Grade 8 posts would normally use the title Officer/Manager/Senior in the job summary, eg Estates Manager, HR Business Partner, Senior Administrator.
- Grade 7 posts would normally use the title Assistant/Administrator in the job summary, eg Assistant Estates Manager, Assistant HR Business Partner, Administrator.
Clerical Posts (Grades 2 - 6)
- Clerical posts should use the title Clerical Officer in the job summary. If the role is more specific then the detail may be inserted afterwards in brackets, e.g. Clerical Officer (Editorial Assistant).
Technical Posts (Grades 2 - 7)
- Grade 2 to Grade 6 Technical posts should use the title Technician in the job summary. If the role is more specific or senior then the detail may be inserted afterwards in brackets, e.g. Technician (Senior), Technician (Research).
- Grade 7 posts would normally use the following job titles: Technical Manager/Expert, Laboratory Manager, Chief Technician.
Operational Posts (Grades 1 - 6)
- The use of specific titles for Operational staff are discouraged. However it is acknowledged that due to the commerical/industrial nature of the role of some Operational posts , titles such as supervisor or manager are used at grades lower than stated for Academic Related posts, for example, Front of House Manager, (Grade 4). Head of School / Director specific approval is required for use such titles.
Below are the Job Summary Templates for the key categories of staff within the University. If you require a job summary template for a post not listed below, please contact your designated HR Business Partner in the first instance.