Operating the Scheme
In relation to operating the Scheme the following points should be noted:
- The appraisal process is intended to be a discussion between appraiser and appraiser starting from self-assessment, not a top-down judgement.
- The content of the discussion is confidential to the two people concerned. However, the Vice-Chancellor or nominee, the Registrar and Chief Operating Officer, Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Heads of School/Directors, HR Director and for specific purposes the Head of Diversity and Inclusion, have access to the appraisal document.
- All staff, whether full or part-time, are covered, and the process should be conducted in a consistent way.
- All appraisers must be trained before carrying out appraisals.
- The implementation of the appraisal process within and across Schools and or Directorates will be monitored by the University Operating Board or a subgroup of same.
- Formal appraisal for all staff takes place annually.
- After individual appraisals have been completed, development plans are reviewed at School /Directorate level so that training and development needs may be prioritised. A summary of these will be passed to the Organisational Development team.