If you are a New Member of Staff to the University

  • If you are a New Member of Staff to the University


How do I get my staff card?

All Staff cards are issued by Human Resources.  Please contact Human Resources Reception, email: hr@qub.ac.uk, telephone: 028 90 973044 to make arrangements.  Click here for further information.

I am a new member of staff, when do I receive induction?

Your new department and manager should welcome you and ensure that you become familiar with your work area, colleagues, important policies and procedures, health and safety issues and most importantly your immediate work requirements.  Learning and Development (previously STDU) will also co-ordinate a formal welcome and orientation (induction) process for new members of staff.  Click here for further information.

How do I get an email address?

You will be provided with an email address on your first day at Queen's, when you visit Human Resources Reception to receive your staff card.

What is the length of my probation?

For Academic-Related, Clerical, Research, Technical and Operational staff the probation period is 6 months. For members of staff new to the academic profession the probation period is normally longer, details of which are conveyed to you shortly after appointment.

Pay and Benefits

What are my terms and conditions?

You will have received your terms and conditions on appointment to the University.  You can view the terms and conditions on the Human Resources website.

Where can I get a copy of the salary scales?

Salary scales are listed under the Benefits section of the Human Resources website. Click here to view the salary scales.

When will my salary be paid?

Your salary will normally be paid on the last day of the month or the previous Friday if this falls on a weekend, with the exception of holiday periods eg Christmas.

When is my increment due?

Increments on scale, where payable, take effect for Clerical, Technical and Operational staff on the 1 August each year, and for Academic and Academic Related staff on the 1 October each year, unless as otherwise stated in your appointment letter.

Are there increases to pay scales?

Rises in pay rates are agreed nationally and when agreed normally take effect from 1 August each year.

I have a query about my pay, who should I contact?

If you have any queries about your pay please contact the Salaries office (ext 3015) in the first instance or visit the Salaries website.  Alternatively, contact the HR Business Partner responsible for your area.

Who do I contact about my pension?

If you have any queries, please visit the Pensions website email:pensionshelpdesk@qub.ac.uk

Am I entitled to a shift allowance?

The payment of shift allowances normally relates to certain staff categories in specific circumstances such as Security staff and PEC staff. Further information on shift allowances/additional payments is under the Employee Benefits section on the Human Resources website.

Holidays and Leave

What is my annual leave entitlement?

Your annual leave entitlement is 23 days. In addition the University also recognises 9 public holidays and 10 closure days. Full details in relation to this entitlement are in the Employee Benefits Section on the Human Resources website.

How do I book annual leave?

On your first day your line manager will notify you of your annual leave entitlement for the year (leave year is January to December). Any planned leave must be approved in advance by your line manager. Further information on holidays and leave are under the Employee Benefits section on the Human Resources website. Click here to view.

If I am off sick who should I contact and how?

If you are unable to attend work due to illness, you should contact your line manager on your first day of absence within 1 hour of your expected starting time to let them know of absence. Please refer to the Sickness Absence Procedure for further details.

What do I need to do on return from a period of sickness?

You will meet with your line manager on your return to work. Part 2 of the Sickness Absence Form (SAF) is to be completed and signed by both you and your line manager. You should provide a medical certificate to your line manager if required. Please refer to the Sickness Absence Procedure for further details.


Who is my HR Business Partner?

The Human Resources Team consists of HR Business Partners and clerical staff who are responsible for providing assistance, advice and guidance to a designated area within the University. In order to identify who your HR Business Partner is please view the Human Resources key contacts.

What trade unions does the University recognise?

Please click here for recognised Trade Unions.

What happens if I have an accident at work?

An accident report form (AC1) must be completed for all accidents which occur to staff arising out of and in connection with their employment and returned to the University Safety Service. Click here for further information.

What do I do if I want to go on a training course?

Staff wishing to attend a training course should discuss this with their line manager in the first instance. Guidance notes are available on the Learning and Development  webpages (previously STDU).

How do I get advice on Health and Safety issues?

If you have any queries please contact the University Safety Service, 028 9097 4613, email: safety@qub.ac.uk or visit the Safety Services webpages.

Does the University offer childcare?

The University has three main sites at 1 Rugby Road, 5 Rugby Road and 11 College Gardens, which offer a range of childcare support. Click here for further details.

How do I get a car parking permit?

The University has parking facilities available to staff holding a valid permit. Although spaces are limited you can apply for a parking permit by contacting the Estates Directorate. However the University also actively encourages staff to use alternative means of transport through the implementation of the Travel Plan. Click here for further details.

What is right to work status?

Under the UKBA Points Based Scheme employers are required to ensure that only those legally entitled to live and work in the UK can commence employment. Checks are made on all employees. You will need to provide documentary evidence that you have permission to work in the UK on or before your first day. Please click here for a list of acceptable documentation.