We will create opportunities to build the capability of our staff and provide attractive career pathways for academics, making academic excellence easier to understand and attain.
We are now in our second year of the new Academic Progression process, and based on feedback received have made some minor changes, which are listed below.
You can read more about Academic Progression and view the timeline for 2020/21 below. For detailed guidelines on the approach, please download the Academic Progression Guidelines
The application process is now closed.
What is Academic Progression?
There are two main pathways at Queen’s: Research and Education, and Education only, both of which are of equal value. In recognition of this, a Reader equivalent has been created for the Education only pathway.
The new Academic Progression process, which integrates Confirmation in Post, Academic Promotion and Professorial Salary Review into a single annual process, is the means by academic career progression is achieved at Queen's.
Academic Progression is also clearly linked to Personal Development Review (PDR) by building on the career and development conversations between Reviewer and Reviewee and ensuring the appropriate feedback and support is provided to enable employees to take ownership of their own development and progression.
The new Academic Profiles, available in 'University Documents' via Queen's Online, have been developed in consultation with staff and set out the key areas of academic activity (Research/Scholarship, Teaching and Learning and Citizenship), and the criteria which defines the standards expected at each level of the relevant academic career pathway. Performance against the criteria in the Profiles will be evaluated holistically, with overall contributions across and within the three domains being taken into account. In order to progress staff are expected to meet the Profile for their current grade and demonstrate readiness to progress to the next grade.
What are the Changes Being Implemented this Year?
Academic Probation is now a stand-alone process, with Schools meeting two to three times throughout the year to review probationer’s progress. For those on academic probation, the review meeting will align more closely to the anniversary of your probation start date.
- PDR Summary Reports are removed from the process but feedback will be given by your PDR Reviewer to the Head of School to relay at the Academic Progression Committee
- Committees will review contribution and trajectory since last progression or date of appointment (whichever is most recent), however the full Academic CV (from date of appointment) will be available for additional context
- The Cover Letter shall be no more than 2 pages
- Cover Letter appendices will be capped to:
- 2 appendices (1 page for each appendix) for those on the Research and Education pathway
- 4 appendices (1 page for each appendix) for those on the Education only pathway
- It is expected that at least a 2 year period is required to evidence sufficient contribution to merit progression to a new Professorial range
- Academic Progression Process and Timeline
Academic Progression Process and Timeline
The timeline for Academic Progression is included below. Applications for progression are due for submission by 4pm on 26 March. Applications will then be considered by the relevant Academic Progression Committee and the outcomes shared with staff after each Committee meets. The salary award will be implemented from 1 August annually.
1 February 2021
- Queen’s Online (QOL) open for applications
1 February - 26 March 2021
- Faculty Academic Progression Information Sessions
- Those wishing to progress (to Senior Lecturer, Reader, or Professor (Ranges 1 – 4), including Professorial increment progression, upload their Cover Letter and Academic CV to QOL (QOL > Other > Academic Progression)
- Those wishing to progress to Professorial Range 1 will need to provide the names and contact of 2 referees. Applicants must advise the referees that the references must be submitted by 30 April 2021.
26 March 2021
- Application process closes on Queen’s Online at 4.00 pm
April - May 2021
- School Academic Progression Committee meet
May to June 2021
- Faculty Academic Progression Committee meet
June - July 2021
- Central Academic Progression Committee meet
Mid-August to Mid-September 2021
- Central Academic Progression Appeal Panel meet
1 August 2021
- Effective date of progression to Senior Lecturer, Reader or Professor (including Professorial incremental progression)