Externally funded Fellowships
Externally funded Fellowships
We are always keen to hear from researchers who wish to apply for externally funded fellowships with Queen’s as the host Institution. Prospective applicants are invited to get in touch with the Research Development team or to make contact directly with a potential collaborator/mentor here.
At Queen’s, you will have an opportunity to undertake leading-edge research in a world-class research environment alongside outstanding researchers in their field. Research Development, alongside our other Professional Services teams, will provide a bespoke programme of support throughout the application process, including advice and guidance on costs/budgets, as well as advice on how to navigate various applications forms and systems.
Should you be interested in applying for a Fellowship with Queen’s as your host institution, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org enclosing a brief CV, details of your research interests and an indication of the scheme you wish to apply to. We advise contacting us about your proposal well in advance of a funder’s submission deadline to maximise the time for discussion and preparation of your application. For certain schemes, institutional restrictions may be in place (e.g. limits to the number of applications) so please contact us to find out more about process for selection of candidates.
For more details on the above, or fellowship schemes more generally, please contact email@example.com
- A career pathway to a permanent Senior Lecturer/Reader post at the end of the Fellowship.
- Fellowship Enhancement Award’ as agreed by Faculty and the Pro-Vice-Chancellor taking into consideration the terms of their externally-funded Fellowship and funding to recruit a full-time PhD student within the first two years of appointment.
- Membership of the ‘Fellowship Academy’, a comprehensive and bespoke development scheme that will include access to a Fellows Network, Mentorship Programme and a range of professional learning and development opportunities delivered via workshop sessions, online learning and peer coaching groups. Fellows will have access to development support in skills such as: enhancing research applications, writing for publication and research leadership. Support will be provided for Fellows to review and plan their personal and career development activities.
- Reduced teaching and administrative duties to enable you to dedicate your time to research.
- A vibrant campus in the heart of Belfast City with award winning libraries and cutting edge facilities. Explore our campus
- Excellent relocation expenses in line with Queen's Relocation Policy
- Many other great benefits offered to all Queen’s staff here
Queen’s will support the development of all researchers who successfully apply for fellowships, to be hosted at the University, through membership of the Queen’s Fellowship Academy. Further support is available for those researchers who secure external Fellowships of 5 years or more duration. Examples of this includes:
- BBSRC David Phillips fellowships
- CRUK Career development fellowship
- CRUK Career establishment awards
- CRUK Clinician scientist fellowship
- CRUK Senior cancer research fellowship
- Diabetes UK RD Lawrence fellowship
- EPSRC ECR/Established Fellowships
- EPSRC Research Software Engineering Fellowship
- ERC European Research Council Starting Grant
- MRC Career Development award
- MRC Senior Clinical Fellowship
- MRC Senior Non-Clinical Fellowship
- NERC Independent research fellowships
- NIHR fellowship programme (including the Advanced Fellowship and the Development and Skills Enhancement Award)
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowship
- The Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship
- The Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin fellowships
- The Royal Society University research fellowships
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships
- Versus Arthritis Career development fellowship
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Career Development Fellowship
- Wellcome Trust Sir Henry Dale fellowships
- Wellcome Trust Senior research fellowships
Researchers, from Queen’s and across the globe, wishing to apply for the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships will find detailed information and support from Queen’s Research Development team here. Further information also available from the UKRI.
Whilst applications are encouraged from researchers across all disciplinary areas and funding schemes, we particularly welcome candidates from any of the following initiatives: