We're looking for a mind that amazes
At Queen’s, we’re very proud of our reputation for research – and we’re even more ambitious for its future. Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor's Fellowships are being offered to researchers across all Faculties. Join us and you will get access to the support and facilities you need to achieve your career ambitions.
Thank you for considering applying to Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor's Fellowship Scheme at Queen’s University Belfast.
Queen’s is an exciting place. A place that delivers both local and international impact. Queen’s University is ranked in the top 173 universities in the world (QS World Rankings 2020), and a member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research intensive universities, combining excellence in research and education with a student-centred ethos.
Queen’s is based in Belfast, a modern capital city known for its welcome and accessibility and as being a great place to live and work. The city is outward-focussed and has recently secured a City Deal which will create up to 20,000 jobs and deliver a 10-year programme of inclusive economic growth across the region. We are immensely proud of what our city and our university can offer.
As a Fellow at Queen’s, you will be part of a world-class international university built on teaching excellence, leading-edge research, innovation, collaboration and engagement, and will play a key role in shaping our future priorities.
With a career pathway to a permanent Senior Lecturer/Reader post, you will benefit from membership of the Fellowship Academy to support your development and progression.
We look forward to welcoming candidates and seeing you become the next generation of world-class researchers at Queen’s.
About Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowship Scheme
Queen's wants to recruit, develop and nurture outstanding researchers who will deliver world-leading research and become our research leaders of the future.
The key components of the Fellowship Scheme is as follows:
- The Fellows will be in the early-stages of their career with research interests that align to current research strengths at Queen’s.
- This is a 5-year scheme with a pathway to a Senior Lecturer/Reader post at the end of the Fellowship, and Fellows can expect to be made permanent by the end of year 3, subject to meeting relevant criteria.
- All Fellows will become members of the ‘Fellowship Academy’, a comprehensive and bespoke development service that will include access to a Fellows Network, Mentorship Programme and a range of professional training and development options delivered via workshop sessions, online learning and peer coaching groups.
- Teaching and administrative duties will be reduced to allow the Fellows to focus on their research.
- This open and inclusive opportunity invites applications from candidates with diverse career paths and backgrounds, including those returning from a career break, family leave or working outside a research environment.
Successful Fellows will have access to:
- A generous ‘Fellowship Enhancement Award’ from £20,000-£50,000 and funding to recruit a full-time PhD student within the first two years of appointment.
- A career pathway to a permanent Senior Lecturer/Reader post at the end of the Fellowship.
- Membership of the ‘Fellowship Academy’, a comprehensive and bespoke development scheme that will include access to a Fellows Network, Mentorship Programme and a range of professional training and development opportunities delivered via workshop sessions, online learning and peer coaching groups. Fellows will have access to development support in skills such as: enhancing research applications, writing for publication and research leadership. Support will be provided for Fellows to review and plan their personal and career development activities.
- Reduced teaching and administrative duties to enable you to dedicate your time to research.
- A vibrant campus in the heart of Belfast City with award winning libraries and cutting edge facilities. Explore our campus.
- Excellent relocation expenses in line with Queen's Relocation Policy.
- Many other great benefits offered to all Queen’s staff here.
- A completed PhD in a relevant subject
- 2 - 8 years’ post-PhD experience
- A high quality publication record
- A research profile and plan which is aligned to an existing research strength at Queen’s
- How to Apply
To apply you will be required to submit a CV and covering letter which clearly states your research interests and the proposed work during the Fellowship. We also welcome a description of how you fit within the School, and what contribution you would make to the research environment.
Applications for the scheme can be submitted at anytime and will be reviewed three times a year, please note that for consideration applications must be received 24-hours before the scheduled dates below:
Review and shortlist are 28 June 2019, 30 September 2019 and 31 January 2020, interviews will take place shortly after this date. For any queries, please contact Roisin Moss.
The Faculties of Engineering and Physical Sciences and Medicine, Health and Life Sciences are seeking applications from candidates whose research profile is aligned to current areas of research strength at Queen's. The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences is particularly interested in hearing from candidates who have a research focus in the following areas: Creative Industries, Policy Engaged Research and Internationalisation of research. Find out more about the Faculties and their research priorities from the links below.
The Scheme is an inclusive one and applications are welcomed and encouraged from candidates with diverse career paths and backgrounds, including those returning from a career break, family leave or working outside a research environment.
- Meet Our Research Experts
Our academics are tackling some of the greatest global issues of our age. They are shaping the world around us through innovative and collaborative research across the globe. Meet some of our research experts here.
- Externally funded Prestigious Fellowships
We are always interested in attracting the next generation of research leaders who want to apply for an externally funded prestigious Fellowship, with Queen’s as the host Institution. A list of externally funded fellowships we are particularly interested in is provided below.
At Queen’s, you will have an opportunity to undertake leading-edge research in a world-class research environment alongside leading researchers in their field. We will provide a bespoke programme of support throughout the application process.
Those successful in securing a prestigious external Fellowship will have access to all of the benefits, see Benefits Section above, as well as the full independence to set and lead your own research plans.
Should you be interested in applying for a Fellowship with Queen’s as your host institution, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org enclosing a CV and details of your research interests. We advise contacting us about your proposal well in advance of the funder’s submission deadline to maximise the time for discussion and preparation of your application. For some schemes, institutional restrictions may be in place so please contact us to find out more about process for selection of candidates.
For some schemes, institutional restrictions may be in place so please contact us to find out more about process for selection of candidates.
For more details on the above, or fellowship schemes more generally, please contact email@example.com
List of externally funded fellowships:
- Arthritis Research UK Career development fellowship
- BBSRC David Phillips fellowships
- CRUK Career development fellowship
- CRUK Career establishment awards
- CRUK Clinician scientist fellowship
- CRUK Senior cancer research fellowship
- Diabetes UK RD Lawrence fellowship
- EPSRC Postdoctoral/ECR/Established Fellowships
- ERC European Research Council Starting Grant
- MRC Career Development award
- MRC Senior Clinical Fellowship
- MRC Senior Non-Clinical Fellowship
- NERC Independent research fellowships
- NIHR fellowship programme (including the Advanced Fellowship and the Development and Skills Enhancement Award)
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowship
- The Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship
- The Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin fellowships
- The Royal Society University research fellowships
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Career Development Fellowship
- Wellcome Trust Sir Henry Dale fellowships
- Wellcome Trust Senior research fellowships