Skip to main content

EEA Nationals and Family Members

International Staff

EEA Nationals and Family Members

With the end of free movement for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals from 1 January 2021, the UK will implement a points-based immigration system that treats EU and non-EU citizens equally, prioritising individuals’ skills and talent over where a person comes from.

If you or your close family member are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and started living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you may be able to access the free EU Settlement Scheme. If you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully you will be given either “pre-settled status” or “settled status” depending on how long you’ve been living in the UK when you apply. If you get pre-settled status, you’ll need to apply again when you’re changing your pre-settled status for settled status. Status under the scheme will protect in UK law the rights you had under EU law, i.e. you will be able to live and work in the UK, use the NHS, enrol in education and access public funds (if eligible). You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme using any device, for example a laptop, Android device or iPhone. You will need proof of identity (e.g. your passport) and proof of residence (e.g. your national insurance number). The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

If you do not live in the UK before 1 January 2021, you will need a visa in order to study or work in the UK. You can continue to visit the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa and may participate in a wide range of activities, including tourism, visiting family and friends, short term study and business-related activities, such as events and conferences.

NOTE: Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme as their status is protected as part of Common Travel Area arrangements.

If you are working at Queen’s before 31 December 2020 but live outside the UK you can apply for a Frontier Worker Permit. You can continue to travel to the UK to work using your passport or national ID card until 30 June 2021, but you will require a permit to do so from 1 July 2021.