The University engages workers through “Non-Staff Payments” Payroll (NSP), Students’ Union and On Campus Jobs in a variety of teaching and non-teaching roles. We are changing the way we recruit and engage these workers with a new operating model which will allow Schools and Directorates to continue to engage workers locally whilst moving all of the administration onto a new business system which will be managed centrally.
We are working with Talent Bank on the implementation of the new business system, QWORK to support the new operating model. The new system includes a central database of workers, who have had Right to Work (RTW) checks completed and any visa restrictions identified. QWORK will limit the number of hours commissioned to any individuals who have restricted working hours, particularly Tier 4 international students, and will also manage timesheet submission, and approval.
Hiring Managers can easily search the system to identify individuals with the required skills and expertise, complete their own recruitment processes and engage individuals in the knowledge that they are contracted correctly. The system will be available 24/7 from anywhere and on any device, allowing Hiring Managers to react to emerging needs quickly and flexibly.
These changes will deliver a number of benefits, including:.
- Mitigating the risk of failure to comply with legal requirements including UKVI regulations and best practice employment practices;
- Reducing administration time and effort to recruit, engage, and commission work;
- Creating a mechanism to increase the available pool of candidates of workers available to work at short notice and commissioning hours in advance;
- Providing better reporting processes with greater accessibility to relevant information and visibility of assignments; and
- Ensuring greater accountability and governance in the recruitment and engagement of workers.
The new system will be piloted in early 2021 and will be implemented in phases on a role by role basis throughout the academic year. The Project Implementation Team will identify and contact Hiring Managers and workers ahead of implementation to provide them with information and support on changes to the new processes. Hiring Managers will be supported throughout implementation via training, drop in clinics and videos available through Talent Bank.
As part of this process we have adopted some new terminology, for example ‘QWORK’, ‘Hiring Manager’, ‘Approver’ and ‘Commissioned Hours’. For ease of reference, we have created a Glossary of Terms.