Questions for Occupational Health should be specific to the individual condition, reason for absence relevant for the post that they undertake. Section five of the Occupational Health Referral form (available on the University Website) provides sample questions that you can ask Occupational Health in respect of an employee.
A sample of the questions include;
- Is the employee fit for work?
- Is the individual likely to return to work in the foreseeable future? Please specify when the employee will be fit for work.
- Does the employee require any workplace adjustments (and if so for how long) which you think should be considered to assist with return to work and/or to maintain a regular and reliable attendance at work?
- Is there any action the employee can take to assist in their recovery? Should this employee be considered for ill health redeployment?
- Is the employee fit to attend a meeting regarding their employment?
In addition to providing questions for Occupational Health, you should provide relevant background information and an account of any issues that may be affecting the employee and or their health condition.
You should discuss the referral form with the employee and advise them why you are referring them to Occupational Health and also, what questions you intend to ask Occupational Health.
Once you have completed the referral form, you should send this to the relevant HR Business Partner to arrange the appointment.