Parents and caring
The University provides a range of policies and services to support parents and carers, including:
- Flexibility and time off when you need it most
- Support from colleagues through our staff network groups
- Financial support through saving schemes to help with the cost of childcare.
Leave and support for families
The University prides itself on being at the forefront of best practice in employment. To further this aim, we have implemented a series of work life balance policies find out more here
Maternity and Adoption Leave
Queen’s University is an equal opportunity employer committed to supporting the work life balance of its employees and as such offers generous maternity and adoption leave provisions. Details are available here.
For further advice on part time working or job-share working following maternity or adoption leave, please contact the Diversity and Inclusion Unit.
As a recognised family friendly employer, Queen's have three childcare sites on campus, offering quality childcare services for staff and students.
Childcare Services at Queen's offer a range of affordable childcare support in campus with full day care provision for children from 6 weeks to 4 years at the Creche sites at 11 College Gardens and 1 Rugby Road. There is also an After School Club located at 5 Rugby Road for children from Primary 1 to Primary 7 including a daily school collection facility.
All childcare sites promote the ethos of a happy, caring atmosphere within a stimulating and learning environment and are registered with the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust.
Places are currently available across all age groups - please contact Karen McCormick, Childcare Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org Tel:02890 662146 for further information or to arrange a visit.
University staff can avail of the Salary Sacrifice Scheme (Childcare+) and Childcare Vouchers (if eligible) as fee payment methods.
Please click here for further information about Child Care services.
The Childcare Voucher Scheme closed to new entrants on 4 October 2018. Current users can continue to use Childcare Vouchers as long as they remain eligible - provided they do not change employer. New entrants are defined as:-
- Parents with first babies born after 4 October
- families not registered before this date; and
- current users who change employers after 4 October
For any queries regarding childcare vouchers please contact David Convery in the Salaries Office on 02890 973027 or by email.
Tax Free Childcare
Staff may avail of the new Government Scheme "Tax Free Childcare". QUB staff can sign up for this directly with HMRC.
You can check your eligibility for tax free childcare here.
Family Benefits Advisors from Employers for Childcare can give you further advice about Childcare Vouchers, Tax Free ChildCare and general family benefits advice.
Employers for Childcare
Freephone: 0800 028 3008
At a Glance
Who gains with the new Scheme?
- working single parents who have annual child care costs at or above £5000
- working couples with annual child care costs at or above £9500
- Self-employed couples provided they meet the eligibility criteria.
Who loses with the new Scheme?
- Couples where one parent is not working
- Couples who have a single child
- Families where the childcare costs are minimal such as those who have children at school full time and so rely on part time care from Childminders or After School Clubs
- Where either parent earns in excess of £100,000 per annum
- Employers for Childcare website - Frequently Asked Questions on Tax Free Childcare.
- Short video explaining the differences between Tax Free Childcare and Childcare Vouchers.
- Employers for Childcare Savings Calculator (please only use this to give you an illustration of potential savings: always seek professional advice on your financial circumstances before making a decision to choose an appropriate scheme).
- The Government have created a new website to explain and assist parents in making the right choice for them. For further details please click here. *NEW*
- HMRC have produced a top ten list of things parents should know about the new Tax Free Childcare Scheme. Please click here. *NEW*
However, if you have any particular queries about your salary sacrifice arrangements, please contact the University's Salary Office directly.
Other Useful Links
- Employers for Childcare (external website)
- QUB Salaries Office
- QUB Summer Scheme at the PEC
- QUB Staff Health and Wellbeing Events
The University’s Staff Carers’ Network was established to provide working carers with the opportunity to come together and share experiences, discuss issues, ask questions and arrange informal meet ups.
Any member of staff wanting to make contact with the network should email email@example.com